are egg beaters suitable for lures?

Feral

My mate Ferg reckons he is going to get me using artifical bait if it kills him. Now being as he's a good bloke an all, I figured I'd better humour him, besides which if it killed him I'd have to answer to his missuss!

But seriously Ferg reckons if I start using lures much with my egg beaters I am going to run into some serious line twist issues because of all the casting, he uses only overheads for lure work.

Is he correct or just fussy?

(He also reckons if your going to use braid, you may as well just chuck in dynamite and be done with it, it takes away all the skill and finese. He reckons fishing is an art form not a fish slaughtering contest)

Um.

Well i disagree about the braid. I would use it for sure.

Regarding lures.

Overheads are great for certain hard bodied lures.

But if your going to get into SP's which i think are awesome. Then Egg beaters are far and away the way to go. In fact i dont think i have ever seen anyone using and overhead for SP's suitable for Eustuary or Dam? Please correct me if im wrong?

But yeah, anyway i dont think Egg Beaters are a problem at all.

Angus.

Good, I can use my existing reels no worries.

Old Ferg is a bit set in his ways, so I think he resistance t braid comes from that, mine is just I refuse to pay more for the line than the reel costs!

I've bever seen anybody use soft plastics before, usually only lures or real bait. I've got a berley drop shot the old man got from recycleland for $2, had a broken tip runner, which was easily replaced. Its an overhead rod I currently use with an eggbeater, so could have put an overhead on it if I'd had to. (they just look so damn small, I am traditionally an Alvey man!)

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/06/17 08:52

Ive just got into hard bodied lure fishing over the last 4 months and i havent looked back. I use a Jarvis walker 7' estuary combo. I have my reel loaded with this really expensive platapus braid. Allthough you could get away with fire line. I prefer using egg beaters for lures because u dont have to worry about birds nests. Also braid isnt a must when lure fishing. If you want to get a few lures to start off with I recomend the berkley range of hard bodies. There cheap $3 or $4 each at Big W and they catch fish, When i was last at noosa i managed a few decent flatties and a 40cm Giant Trevally - you can see the pics in the north coast gallery. I know the fish looks really small but its my mums camera.

DAVE

BIG DAVE 1 wrote:

If you want to get a few lures to start off with I recomend the berkley range of hard bodies. There cheap $3 or $4 each at Big W and they catch fish,

Ta Dave, Ferg uses Nilmasters, (which are getting like rocking horse sheeit) or makes his own, but they are so flash loking I dont want to loose em! So will take your advice and pick up a few of those el-cheapo's next time I am in there.

i think hes blown the braid thing a bit out of proportion... the only diff is it dusnt stretch and is more sensitive... meaning if your using 6lb mono is gona strech quite a bit before is snaps, whereas braid snaps sudenly... probabl making it harder to land the fish :P

baitcast reels id only ever use for larger hardbodies and plastics... say 5grams and over... i use 2.5gram ecogear sx40 on my sp spinning reel since ther isnt enuf weight to cast it... i wudnt use smal sps (4in and under) for a baitcast reel either since thers not enuf weight...

troy

also.. thats an orsum buy for $2... wher is this place... has it got a bit of everything??

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/06/17 19:34

blue_mako wrote:

thats an orsum buy for $2... wher is this place... has it got a bit of everything??<br><br>Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/06/17 19:34

Its the recyle area of the Victoria point dump. The old man gets some real bargains there at times, and their prices are cheap. My middle sons Bream Rod came from there, needed no repairs, $5.

The boat I am currently using to fish Baroon he got their for $50, a 3m whaler shaped tinnie. Someone had cut most of the transom out of it out for some reason, so the old man picked it up, and welded a new one in. You would probably never put a 15 horse outboard on it, it would rip the repairs clean out, but it is fine for an electric.

The aquilisers I am pretty sure he got from there as well, for about $20, makes the boat incredibly stable for fishing out of. Ferg reckons its tops for casting out of with them on.

Mind you the old man is there 3 times a day 7 days a week (I am not joking, he knows what time each new load is brought over from the tip area, and is there for the delivery).

No idea, whatever gets tossed out that they reckon might be worth reselling gets sold.

Did you ever see that show Steptoe and Son?

Well my old mans land based nicknmae is Steptoe, and thats what his place looks like.

His water based nickname is \"captain catastrophe\" - dont ask why - that could take a week to explain!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/06/18 10:29

He is always coming home with something, but probably only gets good fishing stuff once or twice a week.

I;ll bung up a thread on why my old man's nickname is \"Captain Catastrophe\" in the general area, it is a long and sordid tale!

Archived