Merc 60 EFI 4str - any good?

Brian D

Hi Guys

Does anyone know much about the Mercury 60EFI 2009 4st models? I am thinking about upgrading the motor on a rigid hull inflatable from 2001 50merc to 2009 60. I am a yammy man myself but due to sponsorship arrangements I would like to at least consider the merc.

I don't need to know if you have warm and fuzzy feelings about your favourite motor, but I would appreciate some constructive feed back about this motor, based on experience.

Specifically, I have a couple of inflatables with mercs on them and I have concerns about the gear selection, partictually the reverse selection under preasure. I have been told that the new models have addressed this issue but how can I be certian.

Anyone got any info to share?

• 2 months later...

Brian,

We just upgraded the motor on our rescue boat which is a 5.5m centre console. Considered all types of motors in 4 stroke due to being on freshwater dam and didnt have any alleigance to one brand over the other.

Spoke with people who use (and abuse) motors each day, the Water Police and on their recommendation ended up with a Suzuki 60hp 4 stroke for a great price too.

I can PM you some more details if needed ;-)

Archived