New/1st SP Rig... Can't wait

Dibbs

Was bored last night so decided to put on a dvd that a mate leant me about soft plastic fishing.

Now I'm not one to really watch fishing dvd's, as I find the more I watch the worse I get, but after watching that I was pumped to get into it.

Went to Anaconda today to find an absolute load of chaos. A heap of gear and alot of people shopping, but no gear that was worth the money or the effort of fighting through the crowd. Ended up at BCF and found myself a great bagain. Pretty sure it was incorrectly priced as it seems too cheap to be real but the guy on the flor was more than happy to honour to price.

Muscle Tip Pro (6-10kg) rod & a Arbu Garcia bait caster reel marked as $69.95 for the lot. Got my hands on it and a Berkley VANISH fluro carbon 6lb line for $86.50 in total.

Still haven't got to test it out yet, but I'm keen as to get into my SPs now that I got some gear for it.

I already have some SQUIDGIES (Black Opal 75mm Shad) so hopefully it keeps the spirit alive. Never caught anything on SP's, but I'll keep at it.

Also using JIG HEADS 1/4oz Fluro green. Is that gonna help or hurt my attempts? I'm thinking it's a bit too heavy, but I dunno so any help would be great.

Tight Lines,

Dibbs

yep rod too heavy and easier to use plastics with spin gear. ideal setup would be 2-4kg rod matched to a 1000-2500 sized reel loaded with 4-8lb braid and fluro leader in about 4-12lb depending on your situation.

the jig heads are more for targeting deep water fish, if your only targeting bream and flatties then get a selection of jigheads in 1/8-1/32. the squidgy fish should be ok but imoh if your just starting out with lures then deff get some 2inch gulp shrimp in any of the colours and 3inch gulp minnows

Seriously over and under gunned there at once Dibbs. You have 3kg line on a 6-10 kilo rod. Threadline reels are a million times more easy to cast light weights like you need estuary fishing. As the pros say, no fish plummets to the bottom (cept maybe flathead). What size hook is on the jigheads?

Your best bet is to probably get one of the small packs Squidgy and Berkley do with several tails and a few different jigheads. But first, get a more suitable set up for sp's. If you can afford it and can return the current set up, BCF are doing a $159 symetre and rod perfect for sp and small hardbody lures. You can even keep the fluorocarbon line on there, though fireline is the best starting place. You will still need to get some leader if you want to use fireline (it is better). They can help you out in more detail/depth at BCF.

The rig you got is more for bait fishing around the bay reefs or trolling in my opinion.

namyau wrote:

yep rod too heavy and easier to use plastics with spin gear. ideal setup would be 2-4kg rod matched to a 1000-2500 sized reel loaded with 4-8lb braid and fluro leader in about 4-12lb depending on your situation.

the jig heads are more for targeting deep water fish, if your only targeting bream and flatties then get a selection of jigheads in 1/8-1/32. the squidgy fish should be ok but imoh if your just starting out with lures then deff get some 2inch gulp shrimp in any of the colours and 3inch gulp minnows

100% agree with this information. I use Berkely DropShot 1-3 and 2-4kg rods matched with Sienna 1000 and 2500 reels. Not a hugely expensive combination but well suited to flicking 1/16 and 1/32 oz jig heads with 2 and 3 inch grubs around.

hey Dibbs, have you used this stuff yet? if it's still in perfect condition you could try taking it back to the retailer (with the receipt) and get an exchange more suited to your needs.

if not, it is still a good combo, just more suited to live baiting or shallow reef work.

let us know how you get on and if you need any further advice on a likely combo for SPs just say the word.

rocket

yeah your combo should be fine for other purposes so its not a write off lol. can use it for throwing bigger lures around, livebaiting, etc.

or, you could swap rods to a lighter model (not sure what actual reel you have) and keep the heavier rod as a spare or something to build a new bigger combo with

Archived