Deep sea fishin

Hamster

Hey everyone,

just a quick question, what sort of a reel would be a good choice for fishing the reefs behind moreton island. i am thinking of jigging and live baiting mainly for snapper,amberjacks, cobia, pearl perch and king fish.

i was thinking of getting a daiwa saltist because a friend is offering me a brand new one for 200.

what do you think?

cheers Hamster.

that is a good all round type of reel and will serve you well. except maybe for the jigging, ant idea of the gear ratio, touught around 4.1to1?? but if you don't end up with that 1, consider something with a higher gear ratio. as there are a lot of peckers out there and winding up with a small ratio reel can be a pain.

rob

Nothing wrong with the saltist but if going overhead stick to something with a lever drag.

Alot easier to change drag pressure in the heat of the moment. Also lever drag reels have bigger, more durable drag surfaces that give you a higher max drag and more consistency.

If you want to spend the $$$ hard to go past a shimano torsa otherwise go the shimano tyrnos. A 12 or 16 should be heaps using braid.

Archived