Brisbane River/ Moreton Bay Fishing Charter

aichepee

Recently, it came to my attention that there is no such thing as a Brisbane River fishing charter. wehn i thought about it, it was quite surprising and thought it would be a good idea to start one up. So i spoke to my uncle about it and he says hes really interested and he may just be the first to start one. He has a 2007 Cobia 186 with 100hp yamaha four stroke; which is a spacious center console fibreglass boat fine for the mouth of the river area and out to mud island etc. its only early stages now but im just looking for opinions on if people think it will work?

thanks a lot, harry.

p.s. - im keen to be a deckie haha :cheer:

Brisbane Bay tours operate out of Manly .I have been out with them twice smooth safe operation. They used to be a site sponsor.

Re setting up your own operation there is a hell of a lot to do. You have to have a coxswains ticket and the boat has to be in survey to start off with.

Cheers

Ray

It could work for sure.

How many people could the boat comfortably take for lure fishing? The problem with small numbers charters is the prices have to be high to be worth while. Take Jason Wilhmelm at Monduran. His charters are like thousands for a few days. Mind you he is booked out this whole year! But he can certainly put people onto fish.

If someone knew the river well and could put people onto fish more often than not it could work. But its a hard thing to do. I would not be against it. Especially if good C&R was taught and promoted. Might actually be a good thing.

As Ray said though there is A LOT more to it to get set up than just advertising for clients.

Angus

i thought of doing shark fishing tours up the river for catch and release,

problems i thought of

1. once people have been out with you they learn you're spots and go back with mates and hammer it

2.insurance

3.seriously what would people be willing to pay to fish the brisbane river ( no profit in it )

it could work for your uncle. if he knows the river really well!

My main concern is wesfish's final point.

What would an average angler/dangler prefer to do. Go fishing offshore, or in the Brisbane River. It is the general public's opinion (or atleast in my experience of the constant 'You catch fish in there!' remarks..) that the Brisbane River is polluted, toxic and sterile. Hence, I don't think many of the public would be willing to pay money to fish it, when they could just as easily go offshore

So no, I don't think it would provide any income

Archived