kayak thready report 9.8.09

MOC

Inspired by recent reports from the mouth of the brisbane river i have headed out the last few weekends in search of threadfin salmon armed with a 15lb combo and tranzam lures.

Last weekend I launched from pinkinba and hooked a powerful unknown fish that I eventually pulled the hooks on after a 20 minute battle that saw me gain very little line back and have a very hard slog back into the wind and tide.

Inspired from last weekends hookup i felt confident enough to try again as i had a better idea what to look for on the sounder what type of retrieval to use on the lure. I launched today from luggage point with a plan to try out the pipeline. After positioning the kayak for a drift past the crude berth the sounder lit up with bait fish and predators around them. About ten casts in the lure got a bump on the drop that came up solid to what i first thought would have been a nice flathead because it only gave a few head shakes and came in quite easily. I saw the double for the 2m wind on leader so I reached forward to grab the landing net all the time keeping pressure on the fish when it took off for a 25 to 30m run, definitely not a flathead.

Ten minutes or so later after a few more good runs I had my first legal size thready and at 112cm it was bigger than expected.

I can only imagine what took me for a ride last weekend.

Mick. DSCF1750.JPG

nadders wrote:

awesome effort on a kayak mate were you anchored or did you get towed about? i dont remember seeing you there though, what time were you out?

I had an anchor on board this time but the fish ran in different directions with each run so i didn't need to throw it out. I was on the water around 1.00 and off by 2.30.

Archived