More Pin Flathead

marty

With yesterday being a holiday on the Goldie I decided to hit the Pin chasing Flatties with a mate. The Pin is always such a quiet place to fish mid week compared to the weekend and it is even better when the fish and weather play along.

The plan was to try a few new spots combined with different techniques and lures. Boated a couple of fish fairly early, then lost a bigger fish when it bit through the leader. Moved around throughout the morning and managed to find a few patches of fish in between long periods of no fish. After a while we got onto a few more with the best fish of the day being the last one boated. We were pretty lucky to boat that fish as it managed two runs back to structure and when we got it into the boat the jig feel out - not hard to see why by the pic.

Final tally was 12 Flatties (all released) - biggest being 76cm and two others in the 60's. Lost a number of fish through leader bites and pulled hooks.

Marty 76cm_Flattie_3.jpg

Leighton,

Don't I know it - almost put in a bit further south for a quick Jack session before chasing the flat fish. If we get another run of hot weather in a couple of weeks I might sneak an early season trip in before work.

Rocket,

The last two trips were totally different. Last week most fish were caught on shallow banks on the run in, and the deeper channels besides them on the dropping tide. Most fish were caught on 3in sp's. Technique is as simple as hopping off the bottom and letting it sink back down watching the line for any strikes.

Yesterday's trip was spent in the deeper channels throwing bigger plastics - basically drifting with the tide and changing the weight of the jighead to make sure your lure stayed in contact with the bottom. Followed the basic rules of natural colours in clear water, and brighter colours in dirty water.

Archived