whats your favourite bream and bass surface lure

jigman72

Haven't yet tried to get a Bass on the surface although there are too many to list for Bream.. A favourite unconventional surface lure/method of mine though is a small 2 or 3 inch prong (or any prawn plastic with wiggly bits)rigged on a normal bait hook (not a jighead with lead) with the bait keeper barbs on the shaft to hold the plastic in place.. Cast in close to structure and move it tortoise slow, almost not at all.. I suppose it is really considered sub surface fishing however I have found this method to be very productive at times when the bite is slow or you are getting heaps of follows, swirls and bumps without strikes.

Great for times when you know the fish are there but cant seem to raise a strike. This method definately works better with a very fine mono leader to hold the plastic near the surface a little better and works best to land the cast and leave the slack in the line.. You can watch your braid floating on the surface for when you are getting bites and runs.

Chris

i have a few rovers and they work ok but the fish just seem to love the big swaying action on the sammy. good hookup rate on bass too. could be because they sit arse down in the water more i think. and i love to use a squidgy bug in bloodworm on an unweighted tt head as well. particularly around structure.

what is the best time and place to surface fish for bream.

I have tried in the bris river and have only once had bream hit a shallow diver

early as soon as it landed but surface poppers and I am not sure how it works.

BTW my fav for bass is black bubble pop afternoon and dusk around reeds and snags, in the shallows after a bit of rain.

cheers

i find the first 2 hours of an outgoing tide early in the morning is the best time. around the new moon when the prawns are running is another top time to get them on the surface. my favourite all time bass surface lure is without doubt a black taylormade basscada. in the right hands they are lethal. never pause them though, just keep them slowly walking along the surface, old mr bass find them pretty quickly too

clear towadis are great on bream but next to useless on bass as the hooks are far too small and the bass just such them in and spit them out again. but smiths towadis are probably one of the greatest estuary lures for bream and whiting. nearly as good as the tiemco stick minnow and tiemco surface stick minnow.

haglor wrote:

for bream cant go past the gold sammy 65, or nw pencil. for bass the sammys work well but when they are on the bite i find they will hit just about anything !!

LGM have you tried cutting the tail feathers off of the rover, its makes them twice as easy

Yeh mate, I usually trim all the tail feathers on walkers, poppers. I'm not a huge fan of feathers.

The only ones I don't touch are the little suspending X raps. I think it helps them swish through the water a little nicer.

Bass - Sammy 65, SK pop, water moccasin.

Bream - Sammy 65, Teeny torpedo.

Other lures that I have that work well are cheaper impersonations of the sammy, bubble pops, squidgy bug soft plastic rigged with an aberdeen hook retrieved fast along the surface.

Lures that I have never caught a fish on are Megabass Anthrax ($40 lure that I have thrown about a thousand times :angry: ) and jitterbugs, don't know why just haven't had any success yet. Oh and the Jackson B Pivot.

SK pop also worked dynamite on the toga in Hinze last year.

Archived