Help - good boat repairer needed

Cliffy

Dunno anyone on northside there is a mob at gordon st ormiston who have been there for years that do all sorts of glass work.Should be able to find them in yelloe pages.

How bad is the rot/ If it is only in a small area you should be able to plate it with ally and bolt the plate into sound area. It is quite common to do this and should give you several years service.

To replace a transom is fairly major work and quite expensive might be worth getting a quote and then making up your mind whether it is worth it or put the money towards a new boat.

Another option is to D.I.Y there are plenty of books on the subject. ( try your local library ) Also do a search on ausfish plenty of strings there.

Ray

Guys, thanks for all the advice - and yeah, I had the bungs in:P . At some point in the past she's had alloy bolted across the back of the transom, but water must have got under it...there's some minor (I think) rot in the upper timbers, but she keeps taking water under the alloy bolt-on, which I guess hasn't helped matters (and only became really noticeable recently). Photo's a bit problematic as I'll have to take the motor off to get one - suffice it to say that under the alloy the glass is damaged and timbers exposed.

That sounds ugly!

I hope that does not mean Rays recommended dodgy repair has already been done and seen out its couple of years!

I'd have a really good over the whole boat to see if there is any sign of rot any where else before deciding on what your going to do.

Transoms are repairable easily enough , particularly if the rot is confined to the engine mount area. But if your paying someone to do it it could get expensive.

As Ray said there was a thread on Ausfish about someone replacing most of their transom, lots of pictures and details. It was quite a while ago though.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/03/13 05:54

Cliffy, What sort of boat is it(apart from a leaky boat) :laugh: .I have replaced a couple of transomes over the years. Usually you find once the transom has gone the stringers have also got damage.

It is not a small job but can be done at home. And look into the new composite type materials arround these days,Fiberglass impregnated ply, or foam sandwiched type , much easier to work with.

Which ever way you go You wont have a boat for awhile,and it will cost $$$$.

Has someone tried to repair with alloy plate once before.

Sounds like the same boat my mates got up north.He had same trouble, We took the top off at the gunnel rubber, complete refit new transom,stringers,floor,underfloor fuel tanks,reshaped bunks,builtin eskys, etc,etc..

Made his transom double thickness to support 225 yammy,7 months start-finish,after work & week-ends.If you need a hand send me a PM.

Archived