Midseason Stocking Report NPD & Kurwongbah

shayned

For Pine Rivers Fish Management it is the best time of the year, where we get to take all the hard won funds for the year and turn them into fish.

We have taken two deliveries so far and have put more than half of the expected supply in the water. To date this years totals are as follows:

Lake Samsonvale (NPD)

Australian Bass - 63,000

Lake Kurwongbah

Australian Bass - 19,000

With the Boating Access Scheme providing much needed stocking funds this year, we hope to tbe able to place a further 9-10,000 Bass into Samsonvale this year. Along with a couple more species.

Additionally another 12,000 Bass should go into Kurwongbah, the strategy for Kurwongbah is to try for maximum capacity stocking each year to produce a high density fishery with a smaller average size as a counterpoint to the trophy bass fishery at NPD, unfortunately it looks like we will fall short with fund raising this year and be unable to meet this goal.

Lastly, a big thankyou for everyone who supported us this year, your help is always appreciated.

PRFMA

www.prfma.com.au fish_at_pine_dam_039_2.jpg

G'day there

Does anyone know the rough survival rate of fingerlings released? What are the new species being introduced? It is great to see the behind-the-scenes action that keeps us more un-aware fishing types happy, I wouldn't mind getting into that side of things. If volunteers are ever needed, count me in!

Thanks all,

Ryan.

Gee mate, thats a photogenic shot of me you've got there!

Ryan, survival rates vary widely depending on season, available food, size of the fingerlings, predators etc etc.

Unfortunately fish become available when they do, so its hard to cross all the boxes for the best survival rates, but we do the best we can at the time.

The last published survival rates that I have seen is between 50 and 70% for stocked fingerlings of 50mm size.

There are more than a few of the crew on here Chris and an extra pair of hands is always useful. The next meeting will be the second wednesday night in January, with that month's education session being on care and maintenence of elecys and batteries.

Sorry Andrew, I had a choice between a shot of you looking handsome and debonair or good one of the tanker with you in it. I went with the tanker :blush:

Archived