First trip out in kayak - 31/12/09

novrain

finally managed to take my kayak out for the first time on the river today. tried the little creek near my place and was pleasantly by how peaceful and 'fishy' it looked.

took 2 rods out - 1 with bait and 1 with a soft plastic on it.

launched maiden voyage at around 10 and paddled straight up the creek. it was a mangrove lined inlet/creek but definitely very fishable. there were broken branches sticking out of the water, little bends and eddies forming so it does warrant another trip back.

it was a little daunting as the water looked pretty brown and there's always something in the back of your mind about murky water. i was keen though so carried on paddling and stopping every now and then to flick the soft plastic. saw some crab pots out but left them as it is - figured they were belonged to those living on the river.

went around a couple of bends and it felt there was no one around. i literally had the whole creek to myself. i was just thinking if something tipped me, i'd be in deep shit. it also starting pouring.

didn't get any hits on the SP but i still went further up stream. forgot to check the tide but i think it was the run-out and i was paddling against it. took a pic of a big dead python.

every splash made me turn my head and was half expecting to see a 5 m croc or bullie tailing me. turned back at the 1 hour mark and drifted back to the main river.

changed over to bait and 'parked' myself up against the mangrove branches as I didn't have an anchor. managed to wedge myself at the mouth of the creek and dropped the bait in. then i just sat back and chilled in the kayak. it was a little hot though so kept hydrated throughout. some a boat motor by with a guy and a chick flicking hard bodies. waved at them and then went on their way.

went ashore at about 1pm, chucked kayak into the back of my car, with half of it sticking out and drove home. only 3 mins away so i reckoned it was alright.

will definitely try it again on the run-in tide and hopefully will get some live bait before. i'm half hoping there's a jack in one of the snags in there somewhere but not sure if there will be one that far upstream.

a bit sunburnt and was washing down the kayak with a smile on my face PIC_0005_AFO.jpg

I know that spot. I have seen little bullies chasing bait around in there, never had much luck there or moggill Creek fishing wise. Whenever I feel like a paddle only, I do go up there, you'd be surprised how far you can get when you ride the tide in then out on that creek

You can make yourself a simple anchor by buying a PVC coated dumbell and tying a few metres of rope around it. This is quick, effective and easy to store as the rope can wrap around the dumbell for storage.

Put the bities out of your mind, they won't bother you, this will let you relax and enjoy this style of fishing much more.

Kev

Kev

Archived