ALvey`s

Jack Hunter

There is a lot af comlicated reels on the market, I know `cause I have enough of them, so its always nice to go back to my roots and use an Alvey. Those of us that use Alvey`s usually love`em.

I do, its really hard to pick a favourite out of them, but this one (a 450) would have real close to it. It is in mint condition, the drag is great (for what it is) and the reel would have to be the smoothest reel I own. That includes a lot of reels, Overheads and Spinning reels as well as heaps af Alvey`s.

As you can tell I luuuuuuuuve this reel!

Every now and then I strip this one (and others) down and re-spool them as well as clean and polish them. This one gets all the Brass polished every 4 - 6 months as it was about to when this photo was taken.

Looks even better now.

I just thought Alvey`s needed a mention, in a sea of others.

Cheers. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/450DragFt.jpg

post-851-144598409507_thumb.jpg

Alvey's are one of the tuffest reels on the market,you can bury them in the sand ,dunk them in saltwater give them a bit of a shake off and there as good as new.....

Try doing that with alot of other brand reels and you may aswell throw them in the bin....

Alvey's make the best beach fishing reels.......

I once had a very old handcrafted red wood spool alvey untill showing me brother he dropped it smashing the spool I all most cried.....:ohmy:

I was hooked on alvey's the day I caught 15 5kgs+ salmon of the beach down south...winched them ezy as...

Post edited by: Dazzamcgee, at: 2007/03/28 10:11

Mate i love my Alveys still and go beach fishing when i get a chance.

This photo was from two weeks ago at New Brighton down that way.

First cast and i looked down and realised its been a while since i re spooled the old girl!!!

Oh well it was more than enough to handle a few dart. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Alvey.jpg

post-63-144598409503_thumb.jpg

Dazzamcgee wrote:

Alvey's are one of the tuffest reels on the market,you can bury them in the sand ,dunk them in saltwater give them a bit of a shake off and there as good as new.....

Try doing that with alot of other brand reels and you may aswell throw them in the bin....

<br /><br />Post edited by: Dazzamcgee, at: 2007/03/28 10:11

Ah, ya made me laugh. A month ago. I took my Shimano Sustain 4000FD down the beach to cast out the line and retreive it a few times just to settle the Braid down.

So I decided to put on a PrawnStar just for fun. The rod was only a 7`er (boat rod) and landed a Ray about 1 meter dia, anyway cut the line and let him go.

Walked up past high tide mark, layed the reel down on Plastic and on a Towel, a larger than uaual wave came and washed the lot. You guessed it, sand all through the Sustain. Took 5 hours to properly clean it out and re-service it, jeez there`s a lot of bits in those things.

Last time that thing goes to the beach for a swim - boating only. Lesson learned.

Cheers.

Archived