Good company, good fish

fenelious

Hi guys. I had my mate Drew come visit this weekend and I took him out on the river in the canoe on Friday arvo and Saturday arvo too. He's hardly done any freshwater fishing before, and never with lures, so with all my 12 months experience on the scene :laugh: I was hoping I could show him a fish or two and have a bit of fun.

This time I've actually got photos cos Drew brought his little digital :) (mine has been with the wife who's been away for a couple of weeks).

So after over an hour and a half without a hook up I was starting to think it was going to be one of those days, and I was spewin cos that sucks when you take a mate out for the first time! But then at 1745 I got our first big hit and hauled in this nice 49?cm (I only had a 40cm plastic ruler!) GP on a Strike Pro BassX. My PB Yella and PB freshwater fish: :woohoo:

49cm_Golden_Perch1.jpg

Not long after at 1805 I caught another nice 47?cm GP on the same lure. :cheer: This was making a fool of me cos I was telling Drew that it's mostly Bass in here and not many Yellas!

47cm_Golden_Perch1.jpg

We fished for a while trying a couple of different lures without any more luck. Again I was really starting to hope that Drew wasn't going to go home empty handed. Then at about 1915 just on dark I heard behind me an excited and almost surprised exclamation from my buddy - he was on!! I dropped my gear and spun round in the canoe fumbling for the net as Drew was fighting hard what was obviously a decent sized fish on my cheap old 2-4kg $80 rod and reel combo loaded with 15lb mono - (only the best for us pros :laugh: ) As the fish came up and Drew was trying to steer him into my net I was like, "Holy crap, he's a big Bass!" We landed him and pulled out the lure nicely hooked into his top lip - you guessed it - my Strike Pro BassX! This fish also made a fool of me cos I was telling Drew that the Bass you normally catch here (none of which he'd seen yet) are mostly about 30-40cm! Here he is measuring in at 50?cm :woohoo:

50cm_Bass1-20100103.jpg

Drew had killed my PB of 40cm, and I told him we'd probably both go a long time before catching a better fish than that.

We started paddling back after that, and I hooked up one more on the Strike Pro but he jumped off. That was us for Friday. What a day :)

Saturday's session I'll post straight after this on another post.

Later,

Steve.

Archived