Brisbane river near the city

djfox

Hi Guys,

only been out here for a short while, but for the second day fishing from the banks of the river just off coronation drive near wesley hospital, not the perfect fishing spot but traveling is a problem so we make do (for the fun at the moment while we not on the bay chasing makrel) i picked up a nice fight on my small 5'6\" baitcaster rod.i think its a king guess about 3kg or so it was a heck of a lot of fun. i picked this one up off a blue and yellow menindee mauler 5 just about 3 meters off the bank near the mangroves.

keep the rod tips up!!!!

Post edited by: djfox, at: 2007/03/28 20:48 [file]

Post edited by: djfox, at: 2007/03/28 20:56

post-1007-144598408875_thumb.jpg

post-1007-144598409432_thumb.jpg

So you are a sharker, hmm iv always wanted to do some shark fishing i dont have the gear here tho (yet) but i cant wait to give it a bash where do you go to find the sharks? do you go often? what rig do you use for the smaller sharks (i see you have a coffee grinder on the one rod! how does that handle, i always thaught youd need a big rig for that fun!

Nice one mate!!

King Threadfin Salmon

A lot of those beauties are caught in the river, however almost always on bait.

That is the first i have seen lure caught, and i have only heard of one other. SO once again well done.

Could we get a photo of the lure up just for curiosity sake?

Cheers and good fishing.

Angus

djfox wrote:

So you are a sharker, hmm iv always wanted to do some shark fishing i dont have the gear here tho (yet) but i cant wait to give it a bash where do you go to find the sharks? do you go often? what rig do you use for the smaller sharks (i see you have a coffee grinder on the one rod! how does that handle, i always thaught youd need a big rig for that fun!

mate most of the small sharks we catch in the river can be handled on a baitcaster loaded with 6kg line

i fish for them with a 3kg spin outfit and a 6kg baitcaster and land more than i lose on the 3 no worries

djfox wrote:

hey djfox I just saw your question mate, I must have forgotten to subscribe to the thread! Yep, over summer we go pretty often! Its good fishing close to home and when the sharks are in season we rarely luck out. As Jeff has said you don't need heavy gear to target the average sized upper-river sharks. That said I fish a bit heavier then Jeff (I use a 7 kg spin outfit with 7-8 foot rods) as I do all my fishing from the bank (Jeff is a boater) in rather snaggy territory and as I often cast some rather meaty rigs around the extra grunt is needed. I also have a 12 foot rod for casting foot long live bonies. In general the average river sharks are pretty manageable on light spin gear. A quality brand name spinning reel will handle most of the sharks comfortably in the upper reaches at least. That said in the past season we have (Jeff has reported this too, so there must be a few around) hooked a few monsters that ended up biting clean through our wire traces. I'm going to fish with a 12 kg outfit as well next season and use heavier wire and see what happens:) ps - your salmon is awesome

Archived