bass in streams

troutfish

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum, and to qld. i dont want secret spots or lacations (although i wont complain :P ),

but what i would like to know is if there are accesible small streams that hold bass in the brissie, nrthn goldie area?

i'll be hunting for them, as chasing bass on fly, in rivers is one of the nicest things to do:)

any advice on general areas would be much appreciated, i'll be foot or kayak based

cheers

ez

Mate probably one of the closest and arguably best locations to try this out would be the upper Brisbane River. These are for the most part not actually wild bass, but bass that went over the wall last time water was let out of wivanhoe. In other words they have been there a while!!!

Land based or kayak would both be suitable. Check out the Lowood and Fernvale areas in your referdex.

I have been wanting to take the yak up there myself for some time.

As well as bass you can get golden perch and an outside chance at a Mary river Cod.

The river below the dam wall at North Pine Dam is also very scenic and most certainly holds bass.

Hope this helps.

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/04/05 08:08

yeah JB I have heard a lot of bass reports from the tweed but have never fished the upper reaches myself.

We have however caught a few bass from Twin Bridges (Fernvale area) from canoe and above colleges by canoe. I went canoeing upstream from colleges for the first time in years not too long back and it was extremely overgrown with weed. We did however see stacks of fishing including big bream and big bass! We were only armed with diving lures so didn't do any good. Small poppers, weedless SPs and possibly small flys would probably be a hit though.

Hey,mate seeing you have access to a yak the best advice would be to just get out and have a look around most rivers on the east coast have bass and you never know you just might find one of them secret spots;) ...

The tweed is one of the best in the area, I haven't fished it but its always making noise when it comes to bass fishing....

Good luck.....

Archived