Bris river this morning + Fig tree pocket added

hooked_on_trout

Hi

Went for a flick this morning with bait, stopped off at Oxley creek pontoon and netted a dozen mid size prawns and a few poddy mullet then moved on to the other side of the river to St Lucia/Long pocket stretch and fished off the bank.

Landed some huge catfish, but it was an incoming tide, I do best on an outgoing.

But the main reason for my post was the Bull sharks, I caught 2 of them. I suspect bullies as they bit me off quite easily on 20lb leader and they had considerable weight to them.

But the main reason I suspected bullies was that they went straight for the surface on many occasions (I have seen threadie surface many times but these fish persistantly went for the surface and bit me off with teeth, so I doubt they were threadies).

I am guessing this is what a Bull shark does?

So maybe if you into a bit of sharking they are certainly on the chew in those reaches on live mullet.

I have not bought any traces yet as a large cod or jew is on my mid river hit list ATM.

Definitely bait and action abound.

cheers

Sounds like bullies to me, although starting to get late in the seasin for them up there.

A decent threadie ( 1 metre + ) would have worn through your leader rather than snap it straight away.

Still....good to see some decent action happening that far up the river.

Pretty sure it wasn't a threadie, but the give away was the way the snapped me off, very quick hardly had to pull and the line was cut clean as if by a pair of scissors.

I had a fish this morning and caught an abundance of huge catfish and a pike eel.

Few prawns around and some bait fish, might be worth trying a runout tide.

Cheers

Yeah, id say its a damn good chance of bullies doing that to you. Fished the logan river last weekend at night and am 99% sure it was bull sharks cutting us off on 3 seperate occasions - near the top of the tide with pillies as bait. They happened very close together so i chucked on a wire trace and gang hooks, but then didnt get another bite :) But thats fishing.

Cheers

Woodlaz

Just thought I would tack this on the end, not really worth starting a new thread.

Went out to Fig tree pocket this morning and had a flick, didn't catch anything but catfish but did manage some action in the cast net.

While fishing somthing hit a small fish in about 10 inches of water beside me, I seen the boof then seen a fish swim away about 2 meters, curiously I picked up the cast net and hurled it toward were the fish was, turned out to be a flatty hunting tiny mullet in the mud flats (released).

Few prawns around and I also netted a large river mullet (nearly kept it for bait but decided to release it).

All good and I am tipping if we get no rain: From thursday through to a few days past the current moon phase should be a prime time to hit the mid river at night.

Cheers IMGP0020_B.jpg

Pike eels are ok, just a weird lookin fish, dehooking is easy, simply rest foot on poor old pike eels head and remove hook...simple.

I quite like pike eels and always release them unharmed, as for their vicious teeth ripping out achilles tendons and all that bluff, I doubt it very much, sure they could slash you but I am not sold on that rant.

The pike eels mouth is elongated and does not act as a crushing vice, like the blunt mouth of a shark or pitbull, hence their bark is worse than their bite.

Sure they might give you a nasty scratch...

Cheers

Archived