A Few Days Out At Barwon Banks, Takle Advise Pls

TonyMac

Hey All, heading out to Barwon Banks on a mates Riviera for a few days in a month or so and being an ex South Aussie Surf Beach fisherman I would like a bit of advise on tackle & gear I should take. Don't want to look like a dill and be unprepared.

Firstly I'm an egg beater man and my big reels have 80lb Mono & my medium has say 40lb Mono. I only have a pretty basic 7' boat rod say 8-10kg or something like that & will just take a few other lighter rods.

Not really into heaps of little fish would rather wait for a few nice one's.

Will take something light to catch some live bait too.

Question's

1) bait, squid & pill'y??

2) Bobby line for livies??

3) say 5/0 or 6/0 Gangs or single hooks??

4) Bottom Bash or Drift or Both??

5) Soft plastic's say 4 or 5''??

6) If so Jighead size & what hook size??

7) Lures or poppers ??

8) I assume Snapper this time of year what other species??

Any advise would be appreciated because its a long way back to get the right gear for the job.

Cheers

Tony

TonyMac wrote:

Hey All, heading out to Barwon Banks on a mates Riviera for a few days in a month or so and being an ex South Aussie Surf Beach fisherman I would like a bit of advise on tackle & gear I should take. Don't want to look like a dill and be unprepared.

Firstly I'm an egg beater man and my big reels have 80lb Mono & my medium has say 40lb Mono. I only have a pretty basic 7' boat rod say 8-10kg or something like that & will just take a few other lighter rods.

Not really into heaps of little fish would rather wait for a few nice one's.

Will take something light to catch some live bait too.

Question's

1) bait, squid & pill'y?? All good, fresh is best. Goto fish market prior and a lot cheaper too.

2) Bobby line for livies?? Just float livey out the back or send him down with smallest sinker that you can depending on current and drift speed

3) say 5/0 or 6/0 Gangs or single hooks?? 6/0 should be plenty.. Live bait I use 6/0 Owner circle hooks and flesh baits I use 6/0 Mustad hoodlums with a snelled 2 hook rig

4) Bottom Bash or Drift or Both?? Either or depends on where the fish are

5) Soft plastic's say 4 or 5''?? 7" GULP - big bait big fish my theory haha :D

6) If so Jighead size & what hook size?? 1/2oz to 1oz depending on depth & current7) Lures or poppers ?? Halco Laser pro 190s are good value and the Wahoo love em8) I assume Snapper this time of year what other species?? Snapper will be around all of the above will catch them except for trolling (possible but highly unlikey :P )

In regards to reels & rods should be all good, Id prob swap the mono for braid. As you have better feel fishing with braid at those depths

Any advise would be appreciated because its a long way back to get the right gear for the job.

Cheers

Tony

TonyMac wrote:

Cheers Rex.

I'm a bit the same bigger the gear bigger the fish.

Gang of 2 hooks ya reckon, would I use three to keep the pilly's together?

Also best place to buy the poppers, BCF? or suggest a tackle shop on the southside?

Tackle Warehouse @ Camp Hill.. Beware that place is dangerous, bring cash and leave the cards at home :P

snapper like to hit a pilchard head first and don't like using gang hooks on them i normally thread the pilchard from the tail and have a circle hook with the barb protruding at the head you can have a second hook running freely above your other hook and put it into the pilchard near the tail but leave room to do a half hitch with the line. then do a half hitch of line around the tail to keep it straight for presentation and run a small sinker onto the tail any where from a no2 to 5 ball sinker then keep feeding it down till the snapper hit. this is whats called float lining you don't have to strike hard with circle hooks just put the reel in gear when you feel them start to take off with the bait lean back smoothly. have had a lot of success with this of the last couple of years

good luck

mark

Archived