First time Egi success!

donga100

Well, I have been trying for a few weeks now to catch some squid without any luck. I hadn't had any trouble finding the squid, always managing to spot at least a few each time. I just found it extremely difficult to get them interested in my jigs and on the rare occasion they struck at the jig they wouldn't become hooked.

After numerous hours of research and review of strategy I decided to invest in a new jig. The jigs I had got for free by subscribing to an online forum were just not getting the results. So I headed off to the tackle shop and bought the most expensive jig they had. My reasons for choosing it were made based on factors such as buoyancy, size, colour, etc. the fact it was the most expensive was just an unfortunate coincidence.

The excessive cost of this new jig proved worthwhile though when after 15 minutes I landed my first ever squid by lure (had accidentally caught one a few years ago fishing for whiting). It was about 3cms short of the current FOTM leader but I think I've caught the bug now and will be getting out there again before the month is done.

squid-20100517.jpg

Yes, the lure was a Yamashita: Naory Range Hunter. "To Aggressive Angler".

I selected this one because it has a very slow sink rate, almost floats. I suppose I could file some of the lead off the cheaper jigs I have to make them sink more slowly but I wouldn't really have any idea what I'm doing.

Have just been out again tonight and picked up another one a bit bigger. Happy days!

woody1 wrote:

Nice work mate! bet that jig was worth the money when you cooked him up! where were you fishing?

Was fishing at Manly, land based under the lights. I was certainly happy to actually get some reward for standing out in the cold at night. Cooked them up last night, just cut the tube down the middle and scored the meat and sprinkled some salt and lemon juice on top before cooking under the grill on max temperature. Cut into small strips after cooking and dip in some Japanese mayonnaise mixed with wasabi. Excellent!

Archived