Bass Closed Season

elops

in a moment like what happened with henry i would say a quick release unharmed is fine and i dont think anyone could look down there nose at that, as usual the fisheries dept is never there to get the guys doing the wrong thing, so i think its more up to honest fisho's to uphold these regs morally and educate other people you see doing the wrong thing.

You are not allowed to target Bass. You can still catch them and release unharmed if it was not intended, but this is up to the officers discretion if they catch you. Like say you're fishing in the Albert River, far upstream in the fresh and you catch one and they catch you. You don't have much chance of arguing your case. But if you get one in the Goldie Canals or a similarly odd area (though they are not uncommon in some canals), you should be ok

During the closed season in regulated waters it is an offence to take or possess Bass.

This includes the deliberate targeting of Bass as the definition of take under the act includes-

(a) catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or land ;and

(b)attempt to catch, gather, kill or obtain from water or land; and

©land (from a boat or any other way), bring ashore or tranship.

If you accidently catch a Bass it must be released immediately.

Hooking and landing a gravid female Bass DOES HAVE AN EFFECT it is best to net, dehook in net, and release from net without handling.

As Bass are in the salt to breed it is not uncommon to encounter them.

Fishing in fresh water is another matter, Bass are by far the most common fish encountered especially lure fishing, the excuse I was targeting Yellowbelly ect wont wash with the B&F Patrol and IMO shows a complete disregard for future Bass stocks and a lack of any ethics.

Archived