braid 4 e-gee

ok heres the problem, my current setup is a daiwa 3pc wilderness 8lb-14lb(feels like a 1pc) & a daiwa E-Gee 2506, im currently using berkley MF fireline Flame Green 10lb........

so the problem is im running out of line, and im almost up 2 the backing and if ur not aware the e-gee doesn't have much space on the spool. I really only bought this reel coz it was colour coordinated with my rod and its got 2 handles(feels more balanced wen retrieving, like a bait-caster) and just wondering, if i shud go a touch heavier on line(im targeting various species; bream, flatties, jewies, threadies, jacks, trevally, etc.........i dont even target squid T_T) without the loss of good action from my small hb's and casting distance.......(and i dont really wanna buy a new reel)

im not entirely sure how thick fireline is, but im pretty sure theres a braid that is thinner i can chuck on & even, possibly go heavier 2 catch all these species

like ive caught all these fish(except a jack) on wat ive got without a problem but ppl have been telling me 2 go heavier?

can u suggest a thin/good braid i can use & that wont kill my wallet?

also with the backing, does it reall matter how heavy mine will be? even if it is like a 2lb mono(only really using it so that my line doesn't slip)? and of course i'll change line again once the backing starts being used into my cast

so lemme break it down 4 u:

>need new line for my e-gee

>cant b a thick braid

>needs to fit a whole 125yds of line

>is 10lb enuff 4 estuary species using sp's/hb's? or shud i go a tad heavier?

>if goin heavier, will it affect my casting distance drastically?

>if im using smaller lures, will that have a major influence as well?

>is backing needed? does it need 2 b heavier than the braid?

>or shud i make the first 2/3 metres of braid really tight

on the spool to reduce line slipage

p.s. i wish i had more money so that i can cater for all the fish i target but this setup i got is pretty much a general purpose lure rod, im 2 poor 2 afford anything more BOO HOO!

p.s. sorry if this thread sounds like its everywhere, 2 much crap is goin on in my mind all at once. Also it says on my e-gee: PE 0.8 - 140, 1 - 110, hope that helps(i really dont know wat it means)

Hello, have a look into Sunline super PE - it's not a braid i think, fused something or other but pretty thin? I'll look it up 2moro morning if i get a chance and post specs.

10lb mainline i reckon should be enough for most estuary species but you just need a decent leader - thick fc or regular mono

Heaver the line class = thicker = probably comes off the spool slower so if i had to have a guess i'd say it would have an affect on your casting distance - how much im not sure.. for light lures might be big ** Does your reel have a spare spool? - have one with like 6lb braid for bream etc and another with 10lb+?

Backing your spool with mono & then top-shotting with braid just means you use less so if you get bad snags etc easier to top-back up

Hope i helped!!

If you have been handling these fish comfortably why go heavier?

Some people like heavier lines for threaddies in deeper water as it shortens the fight and theoretically the fish has a better release chance.

Has release been a problem though with the land based style of fishing you have been doing?

Angus

Hey mate,

I agree with 51MPL on this one . B) Sunline Super P.E starts at 10pnd from memory, but has the thickness of 6pnd fireline so you should be able to pack a fair bit on your spool. As for the backing, i'd try Sunline Super Natural monofilament. For some reason, braid packs over this monofilament really well and it's also nice and supple with good knot strength. I tend to use mono of the same breaking strain as my braid, it's a bit thicker but makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing it's got a bit of strength to it.

I use this monofilament as backing on my Shimano Stradic CI4 2500, with 6Pnd Finns Braid and I've got oodles of capacity. Obviously, the CI4 has a deeper spool than the E-Gee, but it would be fair to say you will still get ample braid on the spool.

Seriously, if you haven't had a problem stopping the species that you have caught mate, then there shouldn't be a major issue if you were to only go a thinner braid.

Hope this helps mate

Felix B)

M8 just a couple of things

firstly the backing question,i only use backing if the spool of braid i have wont fill the spool on my reel,i have 4 reels with braid str8 through no backing,I have never had the line slip on the spool but i have found that around 75% of people using braid dont put it on the reel tight enough,the key to putting braid on a reel is to put it on as tight as the reel will handle it,try to avoid putting braid on cheap reels as you will do damage to the reel if you put it on as tight as needs to be plus the line lay on cheaper reels is crap and yuo will have trouble with wind knots etc.

If you are putting backing on the reel go about 5 lb heavier than the braid because if you get a big fast fish that takes all of your braid you dont want a less heavy backing or chances are you will watch you braid swim away.

As for the braid to use well the sunline castaway and super braid are good lines but they break at or around the rated breaking strain,i am not sure about the super braid but the castaway is IGFA approved which means it breaks at or under its rated breaking strain where fireline breaks well over its rated breaking strain,eg: i recon 6lb fireline breaks at around 12-14lb,i have snapped 12lb leaders with 6 lb fireline.

As the other fella's have said ,there is no need to go higher than 10 lb especially if you use fireline as you can put a 25-30 lb leader on 10 lb fl now worries,if you dont wnat to spend $50+ on braid just stick to fireline ,if you dont mind spending the money i would suggest Varivas Seabass #1.6 which is around 15lb bs {around $50 on ebay} or Varivas seabass max power #1 which is around 14lb bs {around $80 on ebay } the max power is an 8 strand braid and is the besst line i have ever used on a spinning reel,it is super smooth and thin,about the same diameter as 4 lb - 6 lb fireline,if using a casting reel i would recomend XDS fireline or the new fireline braid which i havent used but sounds good or again if you want to spend the money go the Varivas Seabass {not the maxpower as it is tooooo supple for casting reels}.

hope that helps

Scott

Angus wrote:

If you have been handling these fish comfortably why go heavier?

ur totally right, i was comfortable enuff 2 pull in the jews/threadies ive been landing, just need 2 get/buy a net 2 land it from jetties, pontoons, etc(i've tried handing them in......T_T.....lost so many....) & like the other guys were saying about fireline has a heavier breaking strain than wat it says on the package so i should be pretty safe

Easy fix. Remove the backing have not had a problem with it slipping on any of my spools about 5-10 turns around the spool then the best knot you can tie and it should bind up on the spool so you can fit more braid on the only reel left with backing it's on there because the 300m of braid did not comeclose to filling it.

daiwa have now bought out emeraldas sensor hybrid(p.e & polyester impregnated with silicone) that is designed specifically for that reel, however, it does sink. 150metre spools of p.e 0.8 (5.8kg 12pound.

contact daiwa on 02 86448644. hope this helps. cheers

hooked_on_trout wrote:

It's a big fish that will snap 10lb Fireline.

Cheers

I use 10lb fireline for everything and its great yeh very hard to snap i have caught some big sharks on it and snapper even a small marlin inside fraser island ... good gear only braid i will use

Cheers :fishing:

mollowsexual wrote:

... I really only bought this reel coz it was colour coordinated with my rod and its got 2 handles(feels more balanced wen retrieving, like a bait-caster)

pondering this statement,...I just realised why I married my first ex wife.:laugh:

51MPL wrote:Does your reel have a spare spool?

it`s always forward thinking to buy/order a spare reel whenever you get a new reel,that way you can cover the reel/rod higher/lower line poundage range and cuts down on the number of combo`s you cart around for an outing

Your reel seems to be marketed as a squid reel.

Congrats for landing a Threadfin or JewFish on it.

Now I know what you mean by "need thin line", it has a very shallow spool.

If your serious about fishing do not buy another spool it will be the same size.

Save up for a reel that holds a good line capacity.

I am sure that line capacity has worked for you but really for big Threadfin and Jewfish you do no want to be hitting the backing.

Would be nice if they had a spool that fitted reel with a larger line capacity, but I am not very technical on that side of things.

Egee2506

cheers

hooked_on_trout wrote:

Your reel seems to be marketed as a squid reel...

If your serious about fishing do not buy another spool it will be the same size.

Save up for a reel that holds a good line capacity

Would be nice if they had a spool that fitted reel with a larger line capacity, but I am not very technical on that side of things....cheers

I have found at times I have chased up a spare spool you can obtain a spool deeper or shallower,although not neccessarily from that series,but from another liked size model/series

cheers

hooked_on_trout wrote:

Save up for a reel that holds a good line capacity.

i was on basshunter and i saw the daiwa caldia kix custom 2508W; another double handle, and it looks like it has a bigger line capacity:

/>http://www.basshunter.com.au/daiwacaldiakixcustom.html

pretty keen on this but im more leaning towards finding another spool, save money, but maybe in the long run its a better choice...........arghhh dunno now, if i do buy it, its gonna set me back around $290......

Have a look on some of the Japanese tackle stores as they have a range of aftermarket bits for Daiwas. If the reel you have is a Real Four then you will be able to get several different spools for it, you may even be able to use the spool from another 2500 size reel. Alternatively if you decide to go for a new reel there are some double handles available as well.

pretty keen on this but im more leaning towards finding another spool, save money, but maybe in the long run its a better choice...........arghhh dunno now, if i do buy it, its gonna set me back around $290......

Lol now you know why my car and ly's are missing bits. Just sell your rims then you can buy a new reel. lol

na mate castaway is expensive. as far as i have seen, only blue there other product super PE comes in white and green which is also not as expensive $35 for 150m of 10lb but it is certainly not as thin. Castaway is a good braid but i have had some problems with it. Sometimes it has honestly just snapped from sudden impact from a thready hit on 30lb castaway. i have also got a fair few wind knots with castaway where as Super PE i have on my twinpower 10000 and i have never had a problem with it. maybe a bit off topic but hope this helps to decide on your next braid mate.

to put another opinion in i hate castaway lol, zero abrasion resistance and pretty poor knotability

firstly landbased i doubt youll ever actually need 125yds, thats alot of ground fora fish to run landbased without wrapping you around something or taking you around a corner etc

having one setup for all styles of fishing is very hard, if you're chasing threadies and dont want to kill the big ones its not really advisable bringing dental floss to the table. if they're allowed to sit deep for most of the fight they will get swim bladder problems, plus pure exhaustion is a killer regardless of how deep or shallow

on the other hand you'll have mad troubles casting bream lures with 20lb

my suggestion to you from experience would be to save up for a second combo which is tuned properly to what you want to target, otherwise you will be settling for 2nd best in every situation

cheers

Dan

ps: powerpro is a great heavier braid, good abrasion resistance and when worn in quite supple and castable

an RCS spool will fit your reel expensive though and the internals of your e-gee may not be up to the extra drag pressure which the deeper spools have it is after all a squid reel.

You will fit a whole spool of 6 lb fireline on it a lot cheaper than all the other expensive options mentioned.

The only mainlines that I use are Fireline in its various forms and Stren microfuse.

From 1 lb Crystal through to 20 lb crystal for many types of fishing and have no intention to change.

Castaway is crap IMO as are a lot of the more expensive PE's especially for the type of fishing you are doing.

sorry elops but i would definately not reccomend fireline. To me it feels like wire, the only fireline that i ever would use would be 1 or 2lb crystal anything up from that In my opinion is rubbish. If i was you and i was fishing your conditions personally 10lb super PE would be my choice because firstly the Super PE is easy to tie with rather than its counter part castaway. secondly it is much thinner than fireline and a very nice soft braid where as fireline as i said above feels like wire. i do however totally agree with elops with the RCS spool, i love RCS i have bought a few products now and the RCS non finesse spool would be the way to go i think from memory the 2508 spool would put 7KG of drag rather than the 3KG that you are fishing at the moment. Would definitely consider the RCS spool if i was you although it is quite expensive it would more than double the drag in your reel. so to sum it up if you only want line go the 10lb Super PE as it is relatively cheap and very effective and if you have the money the 2508 RCS spool i think there around $100-120 depending on where you get it from. cheers mate hope it helps

Yes it feels like wire easily fixed with a soak in a weak solution of fabric softener or settles in with a bit of use. On the plus side it is as tough as wire compared to PE's.

much more confident in situations such as snags, heavy weed in impoundments, collecting flotsam or brushing against other fish in the school while fighting LT's ect. In these situations PE is very fragile, just my experience and observations. For serious stuff I use 20lb Crystal and to be honest I laugh at anyone who says ANY 30 lb PE is better for the afforementioned reasons it does cast better (negligable)and has better line management

(I use only quality Daiwas so this is not an issue)

nadders wrote:

ps: powerpro is a great heavier braid, good abrasion resistance and when worn in quite supple and castable

yeah i totally agree about getting other combos, i think im pretty right with my rod, maybe i'll get another reel and grab another spool along with it, yeah ive been doin sum research on powerpro, googled stuff about it, all positive results, i think that will b one line i'll really consider

elops wrote:

Yes it feels like wire easily fixed with a soak in a weak solution of fabric softener or settles in with a bit of use.

funny u say that coz i was thinking that as well, i got the idea from wen u get ur first castnet and it says in the instruction manual 2 soak it in fabric softener overnite b4 use and yeah thought to myself "hey maybe it'll make my fireline more supple if i do the same!"

with fireline, i luv it(pretty much the only line ive ever used), like, i've bought a spool of fins prt, used it, wasnt much of a fan............(i guess i wasnt used to it)so yeah went back to using fireline, apart from being @ a good price, i've got confidence using it(read alot of stuff saying its 2 stiff just like sum of u dudes have been saying), but i guess i should try other lines, Mr Nufinspecial is using stren microfused & is says its awesome and fishermanfrank is using fins and he likes it..............i guess it comes down to personal preference so yeah, mite as well experiment with sum lines u guys have suggested, rather get advise from expert locals rather than me doin the old "eeny meeny miny mo" process

Archived