cameras

straddiebrad

iam in the market for a new camera any thoughts on what to get,i did have two one went swimming at our last trip to wave-break island on that wild night me and some of the crew from here and the other one i got i had a fight with and broke it so now looking for another one nothing too pricy just something that takes half decent photos.brad

Reckon you need something waterproof and shock resistant;
/>http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/slimline/panasonic-lumix-dmcft1.aspx

$660 mind......

Or you could buy 4 of these Nikons for the same price...
/>http://www.jbhifi.com.au/photo/digital-cameras/nikon/12mp-3-6x-optical-zoom-sku-52102/

I paid $450 for mine not long ago, however now that the FT2 is out you should be able to do better then that if you can find a retailer that has one in stock. They are a great camera that takes very good pictures and are easy to use.

bigtez wrote:

I paid $450 for mine not long ago, however now that the FT2 is out you should be able to do better then that if you can find a retailer that has one in stock. They are a great camera that takes very good pictures and are easy to use.
where did u buy your one iam not real fancy on ebay.

Hey Brad,

I have a canon ixus 95 IS and highly recommend it to anyone. Its about $200 on sale at the moment from the usual places like JB hi fi or those places. Small compact and takes brilliant pics. Just dont get into a figthj with it or take it swimming and it should last. :laugh:

Josh

Brad - Had the olympus MU Tough 1030 (or whatever the details are) its the 10m water proof, 3m shock... good tough camera. Does decent shots... until I drowned it.

Just got myself a new lumix FT2 - $505 at Rainers in the City... cheapest by about $50 even when compared to Aus online shops. YOu can get the FT1 for much less. BUT... the Lumix takes unbelievably good shots for a water proof point and shoot.

All reviews rate the Canon water proof the best... but it looks like a round blue/silver turd... so I had to keep the baller look going and went for the next best... Lumix FT2 in Orange. I'll never lose it amongst the clutter when its that orange.

Yeah, Brad, like what Henry mentioned the Olympus 1030 is tough and takes decent pics.. I'm using it and its strong and takes pretty nice pics and underwater vids as well.

Henry, I like the way you say.. "...I'll never lose it amongst the clutter when its that orange."

Haha... :laugh:

I'm actually thinking of getting a new one and was looking at this 'orange' one... :)

Like a few have mentioned, based on your past experiences with cameras the Olympus Miu Tough 1030 would be a good option, I have that camera and although low light shots aren't the best they are a good all round tough camera.

If you're looking into getting a little nicer camera that takes really good pictures drop by a shop and check out the Cannon S90. Takes beautiful low light shots. Macro on that camera is awesome as well allowing you to take shots about 1 - 2cm away from the lens for some nice close ups.

But if you are gonna use it when you're fishing I'd still recommend the Olympus.

Depends what you want.

Pentax and Canon are the best brands, they make a good range of cameras under $200@around 10 mega pixels.Usually with good features.

For most photos these are great.

Get an Cannon SLR if you going to pay big dollars, other thaqn that the smaller cameras take great photos.

Cheers

i have a pentax optio w80 12.1 megapix, 28mm wide angle lens, 5 x optical zoom , water proof to 5m and shock proof to 1.5m and dustproof. only had it a short time but it has been awesome, also shoots HD video as well. and small enough to have in the pocket too. i payed about $320 for it.

Yep, i too have an Olympus Mju Tough 8000. I liked the fact that i didnt have to worry about making it all fishy and gross - cause i can just run it under water when i'm done for the day :-)

I've taken underwater vids (1m under), underwater photos, and plenty above water. I'm going to take it to the snow soon...cause its also fairly snow/cold proof.

As for the shockproofing, i've dropped it so many times...its paid for itself ;)

I got mine off camerasdirect.com.au. But i dont think they have them in stock anymore.

I reckon they are the way to go brad...it will keep you going for a while anyway, and makes for stressfree fishing photography! :laugh:

Cheers

Nat

Archived