Wivenhoe for the long weekend...

Yoodles82

So with the arrival of a spare electric prop and spare battery, i'm thinking i'll hit wivenhoe this weekend.

Was hoping to launch at hamon cove (cause its close to my brothers place at esk).

Has anyone had any luck in this area? I've got an electric powered tinnie, and two kayaks.

I was thinking of putting both shrimp and redclaw traps in, but would like the hot tips on bait? And i can't find much info about trap limitations in these dams? IE. Number of traps, if allowed at all.

Hopefully i can get a successful report up over the weekend. :fishing:

Cheers

Nat

Nat,

I was there last weekend and found alot of schooled up fish but they were very shut down. Managed to pull 3 good fish,all around 43-45cm. Weren't in a feeding frenzy, yet.

Nailed about 8 catfish which unfortunately took each lure too deep and had to be sacrificed immediately as sea eagle fodder.( not one was wasted;)

I don't usually fish bait so can't help you much there sorry mate but most of the bony bream schools were in about 35-45 ft of water, I'll post some pics later tonight if I remember.

some of us are headin up to sommerset for the weekend, hopefully arivin saturday earlyish, trav and kel and her parents, brad might be showin up, more than likely is my guess, me too, welcome to join the mob if ya want, less crowded too, we will be campin at the spit campin grounds near the shop and servo.

definately head up to our camp, ive booked the big site which has a shed and 4 tables in it and plenty of room for cars and boats... theres also a sailing regatta at wivenhoe this weekend so id say itll be busy....

Rob kels parents arent coming its another mate of mine... brad will be there he cant resist our trips :laugh:

By the way yoodles were there for the redclaw too... ;)

sweresy wrote:

Nat,

I was there last weekend and found alot of schooled up fish but they were very shut down. Managed to pull 3 good fish,all around 43-45cm. Weren't in a feeding frenzy, yet.

Nailed about 8 catfish which unfortunately took each lure too deep and had to be sacrificed immediately as sea eagle fodder.( not one was wasted;)

I don't usually fish bait so can't help you much there sorry mate but most of the bony bream schools were in about 35-45 ft of water, I'll post some pics later tonight if I remember.

Cheers for the tip there matey...what lures were you pulling those fatties with :-)

noname wrote:

some of us are headin up to sommerset for the weekend, hopefully arivin saturday earlyish, trav and kel and her parents, brad might be showin up, more than likely is my guess, me too, welcome to join the mob if ya want, less crowded too, we will be campin at the spit campin grounds near the shop and servo.

Its funny you say that rob...i was actually going wivenhoe cause i thought somerset would be booked solid being a long weekend, and that there would be less electric fishos.

Didnt even realise there was a comp on!

Might have to switch dams :-)

If i do, i'll pop in...best i meet the bloke that got me onto oztrail-graham ;)

Nat

Dinodadog wrote:

4 shrimp traps with full name on float= bill korfoops and name and address on trap=b.karfoops 45 harry st redhill you can have 4 traps of any mix= 2 redclaw + 2 shrimp this is per person in your boat.

Thanks for the info dino...didn't realise redclaw and shrimp traps shared the quota :-)

Geez, they like to have a fair bit of info on the floats :unsure: Might have to manufacture a tag or something.

What do you guys use as bait. Normally for shrimp i just chuck a bit of red meat into the net pocket. Never gone for redclaw yet, so i was hoping to use Ray's trusty methods ;)

Yoodles82 wrote:

noname wrote:

Its funny you say that rob...i was actually going wivenhoe cause i thought somerset would be booked solid being a long weekend, and that there would be less electric fishos.

Didnt even realise there was a comp on!

Might have to switch dams :-)

If i do, i'll pop in...best i meet the bloke that got me onto oztrail-graham ;)

Nat

hahaha no prob, look for the blue falcon towin a 375 sea jay tinnie with a new 25 merc on it tinnie_006-20100611.jpg

Archived