Markus

Hi guys and gals, Im a noob so go easy!

I just got over here 3 weeks ago from the UK.

Im based just north of the CBD and Im an avid carp fisherman. I know you got to kill them overhere and well prepared to take the 'When in Rome approach' as much as it pains me.

Anyhow, I would love the opportunity to go fishing for some carp and being completely new to the area let alone fishing in Oz I figured this would be a good way to get started!

So please say hi, and if you could give any tips as to how to get involved I would be most grateful, as Im eager to dip my rod and have a wealth of experience under my belt. ;)B)

Tight lines

Markus

Welcome mate, this site is a treasure chest full of fishing info! Take a look through the fishing reports section for tips and tricks of where/what to use and keep an eye out on the going fishing noticeboard to meet some members and get some fishing in! =]

Mate the upper reaches of the albert and logan reaches have their fair share of carp apparantly.

Even Bulimba creek just behind carindale does.

Are you planning on getting into to some more "Aussie" fishing while you are over here?

Angus

Hi Markus - Welcome to Aus and AFO. I live in Alderley as well. I can not help you with where to catch Carp but I am generally heading somewhere every second weekend for a fish. I am a novice but am having fun learning. Will send you a PM when I am heading out somewhere and have a spot free on my boat. Cheers Ted

Hey mate, welcome to the site. I'm pretty sure that even though it might hurt to have to kill the carp when you catch them, the massive fine will hurt much more if you don't! But don't worry, there's plenty of other fish to catch, and many of them will give you more of a run for your money than the carp.

May your bait be nervous.

Cheers,

Dave.

crazywalrus wrote:

......I live in Alderley as well. I can not help you with where to catch Carp but I am generally heading somewhere every second weekend for a fish. I am a novice but am having fun learning. Will send you a PM when I am heading out somewhere and have a spot free on my boat. Cheers Ted

Me three we should all catch up for a beer and a fish sometime.

Hey, welcome to the site!

As alot of the guys are saying, there are pleanty of carp in the rivers and creeks along the southside. Mr Felix and I have tried several times and seen pleanty, but have had no luck in hook ups.

Im not sure of any places on the northside as I am southside based. If you want some spots, PM me as well as check out some of the notice boards. Maybe next time Mr Felix and I head out for carp, we will let you know... you may be able to tag along. Welcome to the site once again and Im sure we will all be looking forward to seeing some reports.

Miss Munchkin.

:laugh: Did someone say carp? Well your in luck and not so much luck, Carp fishing up here can be hit and miss in both rivers and ponds.

Winter time carp fishing can be slow to that of summer. Best bet fish 10am to 2pm

Don't know where it is now but i did a write up about carp fishing so have a look around the site the search.

Can't help with north side spots as i live on the south side.

Ps: welcome to the site

dhess wrote:

crazywalrus wrote:
......I live in Alderley as well. I can not help you with where to catch Carp but I am generally heading somewhere every second weekend for a fish. I am a novice but am having fun learning. Will send you a PM when I am heading out somewhere and have a spot free on my boat. Cheers Ted

Me three we should all catch up for a beer and a fish sometime.

Absolutely sounds good. Cheers Ted

stingray wrote:

:laugh: Did someone say carp? Well your in luck and not so much luck, Carp fishing up here can be hit and miss in both rivers and ponds.

Winter time carp fishing can be slow to that of summer. Best bet fish 10am to 2pm

Don't know where it is now but i did a write up about carp fishing so have a look around the site the search.

Can't help with north side spots as i live on the south side.

Ps: welcome to the site

Here's the article -
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/tacklebox/helpful-articles/77-how-to-catch-carp-cyprinus-carpio

To find other helpful member submitted articles -

Hover over "Tacklebox" on the top menu and then select "Helpful Articles"

Hey guys,

Thank you for all your responses, you've made me feel really welcome!

Jeff f/MissMunchin/Stingray It feels like I picked the wrong side of the river! ;) But still enjoying he north-side.

Angus/David88- I would love to catch some Aussie fish, especially if they put up a great fight...

Walrus/Dhess- Glad to meet some fellow Alderleans! Would be glad to go for a beer/fish. Will get on the pm.

Kashim- Carp are one of the most sought after fish in the UK. People will dedicate their lives in pursuit of a 'monster'! By monster, I mean a carp over 30lbs. In the UK a carp over 20lbs is considered a good fish. Head north of 30lbs and then you're really going some. My personal best is 25lbs. Carp fishing in the UK has become extremely competitive and as a result the fishing gear used has become very technical. The rigs are often complex, we use bite alarms to detect runs (though not my kind of thing really) and people even make their own baits with 'secret ingredients!'. The most popular bait in the UK for carp is something called a boilie. Carp love em, people love making them and no one ever gives away their secret to making a boilie that catches the carp. I have no idea if you have boilies overhere, but here is a good article on them if you would like to try making some. Also luncheon meat or Spam is really great for catching carp. Personally for me, nothing beats stalking for them using a floating bait such as bread or dog biscuit and watching them take it from the surface.

stingray/Ellicat- Awesome article! Gave me a great insite into carp fishing here. I have seen on youtube people in Oz catching carp with McDonalds fries! I wonder how Hungry Jacks feels about that!

With that all in mind, Im gonna do some more research and may even take a trip out today to check out some of those ponds!

Short notice mate but next weekend (26-27th) there is the AFO Winter Camp at Hinze Dam.

An awesome opportunity to meet some AFO members and catch some quality Aussie fish.

Check out the details in the Winter Camp section of the forum.

PM me if you have any questions.

Angus

There's plenty of carp down at Warwick, caught a couple when i went camping a week ago. My mate who is frequent there was expecting more, though we ended up catching more yellowbelly and silver perch which is nothing to complain about. We were on his old mans property and had that shotgun handy too lol.

Miss Munchkin wrote:

Mr Felix and I may be heading out in the next couple of weeks..... and if we are, I'll let you know, who knows, you might tag along and then Mr Felix and I might learn something. It would actually be nice to catch some of the carp we see. :)

Thanks guys, Im sure I might be able to show you guys a thing or 2!

Angus wrote:

Short notice mate but next weekend (26-27th) there is the AFO Winter Camp at Hinze Dam.

An awesome opportunity to meet some AFO members and catch some quality Aussie fish.

Angus

Cheers mate! I will definately keep that in mind, but I need to get some gear too. Might see if someone's got an old rod and reel they want to get rid of, before I start investing in my own gear, especially as I may only be here for 6 months or so.

David88 wrote:

There's plenty of carp down at Warwick, caught a couple when i went camping a week ago. My mate who is frequent there was expecting more, though we ended up catching more yellowbelly and silver perch which is nothing to complain about. We were on his old mans property and had that shotgun handy too lol.

A shotgun!!!!!! Was you not catching using conventional methods?? ;):P

Markus wrote:

Angus wrote:

Angus

Cheers mate! I will definately keep that in mind, but I need to get some gear too. Might see if someone's got an old rod and reel they want to get rid of, before I start investing in my own gear, especially as I may only be here for 6 months or so.

Mate check out the details for Winter Camp.

All gear provided :)

Bait provided.

Boat provided.

Accomadation.

Camping Permit.

Fishing Permit.

All you need is warm clothes.

Sleeping bag.

And some drink :)

Angus

Markus wrote:

Thanks matey! Il find out some more about it and if that spot's still free, Il gladly take it!

sounds good - I will contact you closer to the date to organize everything . U might as well travel down with me. I have some old cheap and I mean cheap rods that I am not using to get you started. Cheers Ted

crazywalrus wrote:

Markus wrote:
Thanks matey! Il find out some more about it and if that spot's still free, Il gladly take it!

sounds good - I will contact you closer to the date to organize everything . U might as well travel down with me. I have some old cheap and I mean cheap rods that I am not using to get you started. Cheers Ted

Sounds awesome! Do you know what the discounted rate is?

Archived