need reel reccomendations.

Dudley

hey blokes,

i've just got myself a lovely td sol type II 12 - 20lb spin rod. my intentions for this outfit is impound barra/general bay work (both bait & plastics).

so i'm after a reel to match this nicely. preferably something with a decent amount of drag and most likely a 4000 size. comfort for all day flicking would be nice as well.

the only problem is i'm on a pretty tight budget of ~200 maybe stretching to 250.

anything spring to mind for you blokes?

here's a link to the rod i got:

link

the stradic CI4 is a lightweight version of the new stradicFI that uses carbon and only comes with the one spool. it cuts in under the daiwa luvias price while offering a lighter reel for all day flicking but only comes in 1000 and 2500 sizes.

the FI stradic won an award when it came out at icast if memory serves, has lots of lil goodies in it like paladin and all. 4000 has 9kg of drag which is way more than you need over the sol rod.

yeah mate I had a similar problem as you, it came out to be the choice of the Stradic Ci4 or the Luvias D. I was sure I was going to get the Stradic Ci4 though cause of my fussy ways I didnt end up getting it cause the effort taken to turn the reel wasnt to my liking... on the other hand the Luvias DA is the bomb i love it! :D ive only wet it once and that was right after i bought it! hmmm though you are looking for a reel in the $200 range so id be looking at buying a new daiwa sol with a few extra bucks or a second hand one which can be bought for about $200. If not the SOL maybe the TD Advantage or even a new Terria which is about the 200 buck mark, keep in mind im a Daiwa fan and i have not personally owned any of the reels mentioned besides my Luvia DA. Though my thought is that any daiwa reel above $200 bucks is pretty good.

Something I heard/picked up along the way Daiwa reels feel better though Shimano ones are much more durable.

hope that helps

Cheers imma outtt brothaaaaaaaaaaa!!! WOWOEROWOEROWOWEWO

Qbkami

btw. im at uni sleeping over and havent slept in a while so im a little bit crazy :/ and some of the stuff mensioned could be sentenced weirdly... going ot sleep now though :) goodnight!

not having had any experience with a luvias but comparing the friction when turning the handle is a bit skewed looking at a new in box reel,

the guys at the shimano factory pack their reels full of grease at the start of their life which creates resistance while turning the handle. my cutta 100dc was packed so full of grease the antireverse wasn't working and there were bits of grease on the warranty card etc lol. given enough use the grease works its way out (or strip service and re-grease) and the reel is totally different in the hand

that said theres every chance a luvias is much 'free-er' than a stradic, ive just never played with one

flexo wrote:

4000 Stradic cant go past for price and performance I run 15lb sunline pe for my bigger plastics. Picture_077_AFO.jpg

Looks like you has hooked up in the background while stopping for happy snaps..

On the reel note... how much of the Fireblood goodies are brought into the stradic range, or is it just cosmetics?

Cheers

nadders wrote:

different body material for a weight shave

Is that all?

Firebloods have Magnesium body and they where flogging them for twice the price?

I am assuming your saying that is the only difference between the Stradic and the FB.

If so then the Stradic would be a good buy.

I own a Fireblood 2500 and the only thing that might work it a bit hard in the river is very large Threadies (Of course its only a 2500), a bit more beef and you could handle anything the river or bay would throw at you.

Cheers

Archived