New to fly

Ashhley

Hey guys, im relatively new the the fly fishing scene, as i work at the tackle warehouse im keen on getting into fly alot more, just wondering wat would be a good weight to start off with, im looking at chasing anything from bream flatties mackeral, tuna... anything with fins that swims i guess lol...

I have a 6wt pflueger rod with a scientific angler reel as my go to rod. Don't waste your money on cheap crap, as you will hate fly fishing because of it.

I also have a cheaper 9wt rod and good reel with smooth drag for the bigger saltwater brutes

All my rods were 4 to 7 weight, i would suggest 6 or 7 wt.I agree a good rod,decent line but if youre wanting to play a fish of the reel not the hand,then you will need a decent reel aswell with different spools for different lines.Start with a floating or intermediate line.

I guarantee fly tying will come next.

Good luck

Bri

Joel Eadie wrote:

you cant go wrong with a zonker strip fly ashhley, soo easy to make and in the water they look great. there are some good demo videos on youtube how to make them.

As Joel states, the fur on a zonker will absorb water and make the fly heavier which will help with casting.

Just ask Gordon!!

Failing that go to Fishhead and try a few rods before you buy.

Or come along to the Brisbane Fly Fishing Club meetings. Third Thursday of the month at Wilston-Grange AFC, Stafford. We always bring our rods along for pissing contests

Cheers

Norm

Archived