Shultz, 22.04.07

Ash

Well, with the camping trip cancelled i decided I still needed a fishing fix as i hadnt wet a line for nearly 2 weeks!:(

And as my daughter was feeling better, we decided to take a quick trip to the Shultz canal in the river rat.

The weather was perfect, got there a bit early, sun wasnt up and didnt bring lights for boat, so waited and saw an amazing sun rise. Water was glass with barely a breeze, so we opted to go out abit into the bay. Hooked some prawn on the girls rod and drifted for abit. I got nothing even resembling a touch on the lures. The girl on the other hand very excitingly advise she was on, and pulled a healthy looking Taylor, about 26-27 cm to the boat. Dehooked him and had him ready for a photo when the damn thing flipped and flopped itself out of the boat! Owell, still a decent start. Starting throwing the slugs after that hoping to catch its bigger friends when my daughter advised again she had a fish!2-0! After a struggle she advised it was too \"heavy\" and the drag was going off so i happily took over. I GOT SMASHED! I didnt realise it at the time but the drag was already set hard and this thing wouldnt stop. It eventually rubbed the braid against something and snapped it! \"OOHHH FU....dge!\" was my cry as i remembered my compainion to be my daughter and one of you lot!

A little while later I (finally) hooked up to a small ray on the hand line.

Wee headed back into the canal for some bream and flatties shortly after that. My daughter is gold i tell you! Every spot she said to stop and anchor up (and I initially did so grudgenly) I hooked up on the o'faithfull ck rip off. A few under sized bream later, i caught onto this gift of hers and landed a very decent flattie. Measured in just shy of 50cm. All in all, an awesome day, and a reminder how great it is to live in this city! Just 15-20 minutes away from city and great fishing and scenery!

Post edited by: Ash, at: 2007/04/22 14:52

post-81-14459841227_thumb.jpg

Ha! Thats true Angus! The bay was almost as smooth in the morning. I put the other pics in the photo section. Didnt want to clog the tread up too much.

Im am so keen to go again. Next time i leave earlier and take lights with me. If weather is as good, head out further straight up, then hit the canal for rest of day!

Well, we went down this arvo and all we got was on 46cm flathead (which was my biggest on a lure ever:) )and my brother also got snagged on a crab pot and when a went in a swam for it it, he found a Team Daiwa copy of a Jackall, and a weird japanese looking minow attached on the crab pot. The pot wasn't in to bad condition either.

So you guys did a fair pit better than us, we we're landbased and using lures only tho.

Sarod, thats a great point! Ive found that they whinge less about your fishing if they get to come out everynow and then. Especially if they catch a fish! Its hard to hide the excitement, even for those who arent insane anglers, when there is something hitting the line and pulling it in!

Archived