juggling mudcrabs in a sit in

Fangdangle

Have been doing a bit of crabbing in the yak lately and doing pretty well even when the reports say they are scarce.

I think it is mainly due to being able to squeeze into areas where boats can't. This weekend turned up 8 nice sized bucks all with both claws and pretty big too, only one was not full so he went back.

My kayak is a sit in and have found juggling the crabs out of the pots to be a good adrenaline rush, After 6 years of fishing in my yak, I finally went in the water this weekend when a smaller crab snuck out as I was trying to wrangle his larger pot mate, the tide was fairly low and the silty mud had no bottom :sick: so I was virtually stuck and sinking in a mild panic,:blink: .

At least my thoughtful, helpful and kind brother was there to help by casually drifting by and remind me not to lose the big guy in an encouraging, abusive brotherly way,

I ended up having to slide myself on my stomach out of the mud and the yak was half full, now the dilemma was if the little guy had gone out with me or was still in the silty water with me in the yak?:unsure:

Some very careful bailing revealed he had his freedom, I was now covered from my chest down in stinking mud, the big crab had stayed put and the ever so helpful big brother was all dry and clean.

Once he realised we had bagged the good one he commenced pissing himself laughing for a considerable time and it was my turn to let fly with a bit of colourful fishing lingo,

Ahhh, I love the soothing relaxation of fishing.

I now have a bigger bucket to dump the crabs into from the pot and am much more aware of the other crabs in the pot, from now on the keepers are dealt with last after the others are carefully supervised into the water, but without a detour into the yak with me, ;)

Between everyone here and me, the next crab that throws its' claws when I am handling it is going to find its' way unbeknownst into a certain brothers' yak:whistle:

How can things that live in such stinky mud taste sooooo good?

ha,

you should have seen the hero the other week off wello,

comes paddling over with his feet hanging out of the yak saying he caught a shark and how hard it was to get in, turns out to be a teeny tiny sleepy shark with a mouth about 1 inch wide,

Gotta have the video cam ready when the crab joins him:cheer:

• 4 weeks later...

:laugh: :laugh:

Great to hear someone esle has tried it. You should've had another kayak there with a video camera. You could've made some money on the vid!

Ours are both \"sit-ins\" and my son and i tried mudcrabbing ONCE!:blink: I can't seem to talk him into doing it again.... It worked reasonably well though really. He just reckons it's too much mucking around.

Our method was to shake them out of the pot into a bucket held by the other person, then drop them into my front hatch.........where they stayed until we got home! I'm really keen to try it again (my wife LOVES fresh crab)...brownie points galore for me! I just can't convince another sucker to come help.:(

Post edited by: Alby, at: 2007/05/22 18:31

Archived