Wivenhoe Dam

Juddy64

Fishers,

I'm going down to wivenhoe dam tommorow for anzac day in the hopes of catching something, we have both never been there and wondering if there was anywhere more likely to get fish than anywhere else, we are going to pick up some poppers and a couple of spinnerbaits to try and hit some bass early in the morning, and anything we can catch a long with it.

I guess im asking if there are any spots that are known of, or even if we should try down from spillway underneath the old weir or those ways, as we dont have a boat i guess this is the reason for asking as dont want to waste time looking for a spot in the morning if we can get away with it, thanks again, Juddy

Also any tips on the lures to get for here would be great also

Mate the spillway os good. But make sure you go the required distance down stream for it to be legal. There are plenty of bass and tilapia in there.

In the dam itself i have never had much luck from the bank, except with catties. Never been smart enough to fish the dawn either (back when i used to go out there a bit).

My advice would be to throw either some Jakals or if on the budget like most of us some poltergistes (halco) lures around for bass.

If this fails, take some bait and have fun with the prolific catties. They get huge, so despite being catfish still provide some great fun.

Do you have shrimp traps? If so id set these as well. Live shrimp will add to the chances of bass.

If you use some ftrozen prawns or something for bait you will still be in the running for Tilapia, Tandanus and Golden Perch anyway.

Good luck mate.

Hope to see some good pics :)

Angus

Guys,

I am unhappy to report that we didnt catch anything, but oh well still had a good day flicking.

We ended up going into cormorant cove, then after not long went down closer to the spillway, we drove up and saw signs saying no fishing, so we went down wivenhoe cove raod and found where the creek came around and a spot with sunken trees and looked quite deep. so we spent a bit of time there with a couple of bites on the prawn and nothing on the hard bodies (having said that not even sure if we were using them right) but we are keen to go back cause the idea of what we wanted to do was good, just need a spot.

Was wondering when you say you fished the spillway, where abouts was it and how did you get to it?

We just need to find somehwere we know where the fish are, so we know if it is us that are not using the lures correctly, so any appreciation would be great.

Also read in the local paper that lake maroon was going off recently just thought i would let people know cheers guys

Hey mate.

You fish downstream of the spillway.

There is a waterhole (no idea how big it is at the moment) that can accessed via a path near the lookout.

This waterhole usually holds Tilapia, Bass, Catties and Lungfish. Oh and plenty of gar.

As to how your using the hard bodies, its hard to say without seeing you use them.

But most bibbed lures have several techiniques. But at the end of the day they should all still work using a simple cast a ans steady retrieve.

Good luck next time mate.

I founf when i started with lures it was essential to see someone in the know using them first.

This in mind keep an eye on the Going Fishing forums and see if you cant link up with another group fishing. Seeing someone in action is seriously worth a dozen read articles.

Angus

Werewolf,

Some big Tilapia in Wivenhoe. A couple of years back caught a heap late in the arvo near Lumley Hill Camping grounds from the bank. Was flicking 2 inch Killer Tomato Squidgies on an 1/8 once jighead. Pic below of a typical catch that day.

Cheers, Pete

[img size=396]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Tilapia_bigW.jpg

post-1144-144598413463_thumb.jpg

holy smoke gigantor that is a whopper!!!. Thanks for the info, karma to you friend!!!

Have you ever done any good on tillies over the cooler months???

ps - when I'm back from Darwin/Kakadu I would like to try out the water below the spillway (at the required distance) and maybe even a bit of hiking around the dam throwing lures:)

Post edited by: werewolf, at: 2007/04/30 17:57

Was up at esl over the weekend and dropped into wivenhoe on way back. Its looking very sad . There is a temporary ramp which is quite muddy.

I walked out about 20 feet and went up to my ankles in mud and there was about 6 inched of water on top of the mud.

I wouldnt attempt to launch from it even with a 4WD , the water only seems to be a couple of feet deep as you can see a fenceline going most of the way across the inlet. I wouldnt attempt anything bigger than a yak or canoe.

Ray

i was their on anzac day just doing drifts across the fence line in a 12ft punt me and my girl picked up 20 catties in 2 hours alot o other people were launching off the bank a bit further around at logans complex must of been gravel or something

and yes ray it was bloody muddy row lost her thong and didnt want to play anymore so i had to skull drag the boat out by myself :pinch:

Archived