A nice feed

Freshy

Hi all,

Just a quick one tonight. In the middle of five days off so lined up to get the boat out for a couple of trips.

Headed out to Scarb Reef yesterday with a mate to chase up some Bream. One of my fav spots wasn't producing so hit up a little patch I marked on the way out. In the end picked a half dozen or more... mainly on bait, but had a bit of a play with some plastics and picked up this little fella on my favourite 2" shrimp in halp penny.

DSCF0788.jpg

mug shot

DSCF0787.jpg

Then today lined up with Booty to follow me around in the Pine. Drifted pretty much all morning and picked up a nice feed of lizards.

First one went 58cm and got him on a 1/20 jighead and a 4" smelt.

DSCF0793.jpg

DSCF0794.jpg

Second one went 55cm on a 5" satay chicken.

DSCF0797.jpg

DSCF0800.jpg

Third one went 58cm on a 5" satay chicken.

DSCF0791.jpg

All three on the mat at home.

DSCF0804.jpg

A great two days of fishing and a feed for the family.

Cheers

Brett

And here is my part of the report

Nah, after thinking the only thing I was going to catch all morning was a few rays of sunlight, I dropped Bretts son and his mate back at the ramp with Brett running on vapours and set off back out to get something atleast.

As usual I throw a spare rod over the side with some sort of plastic on it just to dangle around and this time it was a 4inch shrimp in mango ripple when wham, it took off.

Up came a 53cm lizard and that was it, I was happy and ready to venture home!

You are a good man Booty... I hope the boys didn't cause you too much grief and good to hear you picked one up... 53 is a healthy fish, not as healthy as 58 of course... lol.

Thanks boys it was a great day. I'm extremely pleased considering I was using 4lb flouro straight through and having my young fella on the net...

Yeah plenty about, they are my biggest from the Pine to date, I'm sure there is bigger though and I'm determined to find them!!!!

Cheers

Brett

Little bit of plain flour and a little bit of beer! Mix up the batter so that its watery thing as nothing worse than huge claggy coating on fish. Pat fillets dry with paper towel, then dip in batter (it should just leave a thin film on the fish) then slide straight into hot oil.

And dont forget to dress it up a little to impress :-) DSC_0078a-20100718.jpg

bootyinblue wrote:

Little bit of plain flour and a little bit of beer! Mix up the batter so that its watery thing as nothing worse than huge claggy coating on fish. Pat fillets dry with paper towel, then dip in batter (it should just leave a thin film on the fish) then slide straight into hot oil.

And dont forget to dress it up a little to impress :-) DSC_0078a-20100718.jpg

Is that a deep fry or pan?

thanks for the reply, I am a bit partial to a nice battered fish.

cheers

H O T,

Its deep fried as you would not have much success with a thin batter and pan frying as it would all dribble off the top and sides while you do the bottom. But deepfrying can be done in a saucepan with 2 inches of oil in bottom. It doesnt have to be a smoking hot 5L drum of fat!

If you are health conscious, like me ;-) try twice frying your stuff but turning oil up to almost smoke point of about 193C and flash frying for 40 seconds or so, remove onto paper towel then reduce temp to 170C and refry for 2 - 3 mins to cook through.

You can do it for chips too, just fry second time for a couple of minutes longer. The first fry creates a skin which doesnt allow oil to penetrate in when refried again.

Archived