St helena -- Mud Is 27-4-07

Lozzel

Weather looks good for an early morn run in the bay.Our first time out into unknown waters. :ohmy:

Will be heading out to Mud Is & surrounds. If anyone knows any good spots ,will not refuse to give them a try. ;)

Launching at Boat Passage arround 6-630 tomorrow, anyone heading out then welcome to tag along, or just say HI.

We got almost all except for 4 fish off the sourthern end of the island. If you've got a sounder then find a drop off and reefy bottom, bumpy bottom on the sounder represents reef. Then motor up past it and drift over it, bottom bouncing Gulps and you should get some knocks.

Troy

Thanks for the Info , Ill give it a good shot .Bottom Bashing with light gear ,Should be interesting.

Troy,Which ramp did you put in at, and how far south of the Is is the drop off.

Polly, Ill give the top end a try aswell. those reefs dont look to far off.

I used 6lb main 10lb leader yesterday. That was bloody light for that style of fishing. But it is a heck of a lot of fun. If you've got 10lb main go with that but the lighter the funner. For Tuna I'd go upto around 20lb if I had it teamed with a 5-20g slug for far casting. You will probably have to give chase if you hook one though. No doubt you'll see a bust up. Just be pacient when you see them, if you rush over too quick you'll spook them.

If you don't have a sounder there's a hole type thing about 100-150m off the furtherest south-west point. Then just drift down to the south-eastern point then restart your drift. You generally get the Squire and Sweetlip and other reefies at the beginning of the drift then Bream, Flatties and Grinner at the other end but it's always changing I guess. You'll know your in the right place when you see boats.

Troy

Thanks Troy, I got a 6kg outfit,and Ill take my old rig I used for Mackies up north, 20lb outfit, just incase there is a tuna or mackie arround.

I have a sounder/GPS combo ,so when I get the spot I can plot my drift and go back to the start.

Thanks again,heres hoping for a Snapper for tea.

Laurie

Archived