Sweet, sweet snapper

tobie10

Ducked out for a quick fish this morning not expecting much. I've had a long run of hardly fishing, and then when fishing not catching so I was just looking for some catties for fun and morale.

5 mins in, and the line starts going out. Can tell straight away it's not catfish, not threadie, not pike eel, not sting ray...what is it?? Then a flash on the surface and this baby pops out -

photo_2.jpg

I think it actually might be a squire, but I don't know when squire ends and snapper begins. He was only a little fella at 31 cm, but it was my first snapper/squire ever - which I never actually thought I was going to catch unless I got onto a boat - so I wasn't complaining. I only had one prawn and only one herring, so my trip ended pretty quickly, but hey, all smiles.

Thanks for reading,

juls!

A snapper is a snapper from berth. The bastardised term squire has been hijacked in recent times with most blokes refering to squire as something just smaller than their PB. eg if they have caught a 2kg snap anything smaller is a squire. If they catch a 5 kg snap everything smaller is the new standard. :woohoo:

An undersize snapper at New Farm is a good effort considering 20 years ago with the dredging there was no way one would have gone that far up river.

Wish I had more time and less rain!

Think it has something to do with the current - both instances there was a decent in-going current. It's also the edge of New Farm, away from the city.

Bite on quite quickly - think I only stood around for about 10 minutes. Did have some frozen prawns as well this morning, but didn't feel ambitious enough to stand in the rain.

Archived