Jigging for Marlin

PlasticFantastic

Got the call from fellow AFO member On-The-Chew earlier in the week wanting to hit up Square Patch to see if any Kingies or AJ's were willing to play ball. Seabreeze was looking good all week for Saturday and so were most of the other weather sites. Thing was getting up in the morning the waverider bouy was reading something like a 4m average swell which was higher than predicted but it had a large gap so all was good. After passing through the Amity bar we headed straight for Square Patch and sounded around looking for bait on the sounder. It was quiet at first with myself loosing two fish with one falling off and the other to a shark which is nothing unusual for me. After a few more drifts we eventually find what we were after and a steady stream of Kingies and AJ's were coming aboard, only problem was racing the sharks back to the boat.

After grabbing the spool to pop the line on a couple of sharks that had taken my fish earlier I was about to do it again to the fish that I had caught thinking it was a shark but something wasn't right. The line was going away from the boat and towards the surface which isn't normal for a shark out there, then all of a sudden a nice size Black Marlin breached at the back of someone elses boat with my jig in it's mouth and it was heading for th horizon. After the initial panic the motor was started and the chase began. Unfortunatley I was using my 10kg plastics outfit of a 10kg Heartland Rod and Certate Hyper 4000 with 30lb braid. The odds weren't in my favour at all this thing looked all of 100kg.

Anyway after 10 minutes of some fancy driving from the skipper the fish eventually went deep and the braid broke which wasn't a bad thing because with that chasing we would've done the fish would've died in the process getting it to the boat.

All in all a good day out, plenty of Kingies, AJ's, one squire on a jig and a Black Marlin on a jig. There should be a video below, we missed the initial jumps back got one jump in the video to prove the hookup. Enjoy

PlasticFantastic

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUkT13NuNRE&feature=player_embedded

Nice work Mark, It was a good day out, lost count on how many 5kg Kingies and

Amberjack we caught. Even Lanks's Mack Tuna was a decent size. The marlin had to grab the smallest tackle on the boat (obviously yours :cheer: ) , pitty it didn't take either of my combos that could drag a whale in backwards. Sacrificed a jig in the chase for the marlin, the duties of the captain never end ;)

Andrew

PlasticFantastic wrote:

I got one week off in the second week of sept so will most likely be hitting up Point Lookout landbased at some stage that week

Sweet.

Ill be there for 2 weeks now.

Just need to confirm dates (whatever public school holidays are :) ).

Angus

Archived