Solar Charged

1800amix

G'day,

Been thinking about setting up some sort of solar charging setup.

I currently run a dual battery system and have to take each of them in and out of the boat to charge them. (Since my landlord made me park out on the street, I can no longer run leads to it)

So... If anyone has had any experience with this or has a current set up could you share some ideas on it?

I'm thinking that I could mount a panel on top of the cover above the helm. It's mounted off the rocket launchers so it should be resonably stable. Also it will be out of the way. I never take the front roof cover bit off anyway.

Then I'm assuming I'd need some sort of regulator or something and a wiring plan? A switch for charging each battery or both at same time???

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Amix

If you are only setting it as a maintance charging system to keep the batteries topped up between uses a small solar charger like the ones in supercheap would be fine. And not a big loss if some lowlife tea leafs them. But if you are after a system to charge them from low levels a bigger solar system will be required. You can pick up some good deals on 80 to 120 amp panels with reg on Ebay. Although I would be conserned with security with it sitting on the street

Yeah pretty much keeping batteries topped up.

From a typical run overnight I'd run out on one battery, use that to power lighting all night and sometimes I might even run back in on it, otherwise I'll swap over and run back in on the other battery.

I charge both before I go out each time but probably don't need to as I have on one occasion gone back out without charging and both batteries were fine and lasted the duration as per my above practice.

As time goes on though, I see myself adding more electrical equip and boating further so just sort of wanting to make sure I don't run into a situation where I'm floating around with two dead batteries ;-)

Also, if I had it set up on the boat then I would save the weekly dicking around of moving batteries back and forth.

I run out and back on both batteries and when over night isolate one battery to keep it fresh for stating. I run the usual stuf plus a Waco fridge. When I go out it is usualy a i hour run which is more than enough time to recharge the batteries. Plus when at home it is hooked to a Ctec charger just tokeep the bats fresh. I will be looking at getting a 120amp solar panel as we will be doing a few extended trips to the Sandy straights and Lady Musgrave and I will need to keep the fridge giong as that is were I keep the beer

Haha, yeah that sounds pretty important!

Ctec rock, I've been using one for the batteries. Something just like that with a solar panel connected... now that's all I really need.

Research so far is pointing to either 10 - 20w will be all that will be needed to keep the batteries topped up.

Amyone got a set up running?

I installed a 60 watt panel on my pop top caravan. I run a 100w deep cycle battery for the lighting and accessories.

The panel cost me $300 including the regulator from ebay. I've had it for over a year now and I'm very happy with it.

Keeps my battery fully charged even during periods of regular use. When the battery is fully charged, the regulator switches to float charge to protect the battery.

Again, security could be a problem if parked out on the street.

How far are you from the boat ramp.

Another possibility is installing an anderson plug at rear of tow vechicle and and onother in the front of your boat and hooking up a lead between thema nd topping up the batteries on the way home and to the ramp.

Lot cheaper than a solar set up and less liable to be pinched.

I already have an anderson plug for running my power winch so I just unplug the bow mount from the battery and hook up this lead and the battery is fully charged when I arrive home.

P9010326640x4802.jpg

Also very handy when camping at unpowered sites.

Cheers

Ray

Archived