HELP - ADVICE NEEDED ???

Bri The Pom

Sorry, not quite fishing related,but with 1211 members who better to ask.Moving to Gold Coast (Coomera)from the UK very soon,dilema is we have a 3 yr old springer spaniel dog and really want to bring him with us but my wife is concerned about the following.

The difference in temperature,will he cope in the heat.

Snakes and spider bites,spaniels are into everything and we are worried he will get to close and will it be all over.

Are these genuine concerns or are we being silly.

These are our main concerns and it is proving very difficult for us to decide,if any of you guys/girls have a view or comment please reply,we will be very gratefull.

Many thanks

Brian & Gill.

There are plenty of springers over here and they cope with the heat quite well.

They know when they are hot and will just find a cool shady spot and have a lie down.

You will have to register your dog with the local council.

The fees vary between local councils and are also dependent on your status ( discount for seniors ) and whether the dog has been desexed.

Dogs are not allowed to roam and must be contained inside your yard and when you are walking your dog yoiu nust have the dog on a lead.

Most local councils are becoming more progressive in their attitude to dogs and are now providing \" leash fre\" parks and beaches where you can leave your dog run free.

If you are in a residential area the snakes will be non existant.

In a rural area there may be a problem but most dogs will bark to let you know that there is a 'nasty' about rather than go in for the kill.

Spiders will not be a problem as the redback does not move around and the barking gecko lizards ( Harmless lizard about 3 inches long ) have reduced the population of spiders significantly.

It is good to see that you are bringing your friend with you and i am certain that you will never regret it.

Ray

Hi Brian & Gill

As to the spider and snakes - unfounded and silly - bring the dog.

As too heat - when are you coming over? If it is our Autumn/Winter it would be best but I think quarantine should help with the climate change.

As for the cost of transport - forget it - save the money for lures and lines.

Mate the dog will have no worries.

Dogs do silly things, but that will be true in every country.

As Ray said, there are loads of spaniels over here.

Come to think of it, John the webmaster has a Cocker Spaniel.

My dads a vet, a while he see's a few Snake and spider bites, getting hit by a car is probably still a dogs worst friend.

Angus

She'll be right, I live in a bushy area with pleanty of snakes and spiders.My dog hasn't been bitten by anything(that I know of)and shes been here 5 years. The most dangerous thing around here are ticks, but aslong as you give your dog a once over every day its all good.

Thanks Tim

My inlaws are poms, they have moved back and forth between england and australia several times (just one more move - back to england is all I ask.) They have twice moved their dog with them, third time they did not as dog was to old, and got left with one of their kids.

They had no problems, cant remember what was involved quarantine wise though. One way or the other required the dog be put in for a period, but I cant remember which way, how long or how much it cost. And NO I am not going to ring and ask, no dog is worth the suffering I would have to endure!

• 3 weeks later...

my mums a pom so i thinks its ok to bag poms a little so my advice to you is to get it stuffed before u head over then nothing will harm it. when i get a bit more money together i am thinking of doing the same to my wifes mut.

Post edited by: chooka, at: 2007/05/18 12:53

Archived