Breaking new ground at Lake St. Clair.

ryanyoung

G'day all,

I have recently departed on a work-trip down south to regional NSW, and have bought the rods along for a fish on the off chance that there was time to spare.

Since arriving here (one week ago), I have managed to get out for a few sessions up to Lake St. Clair, which is thirty minutes away to the north.

On first view of the spot I was fishing, I got a pretty good feeling, as the place looks fishy as.....the pictures really don't do it justice, as they are taken on my phone, but it is snag central at this location, and it looks like it would hold a lot of fish.

post-5695-144598536915_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598536923_thumb.jpg

Prior to heading down I had met up with Zim man for some resupply of sp's and the like......

post-5695-144598536927_thumb.jpg

And so I was pretty keen to get the lines wet lol.

The first couple of sessions to this location, I turned up donuts, with the odd shy hit on everything from sp's, spinnerbaits to hb's, however I just couldn't land a fish. Apparently, there are some good sized bass, silvers, yellas, as well as rumoured Murray cod, but from the first, I realised it was going to be some pretty tough fishing.

My break-through came on my third visit to the area, with this skinny little fella falling to a spinnerbait.

post-5695-14459853693_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598536933_thumb.jpg

Once again, on this day, I was dealt a couple of missed hits, and the addition of a stinger hook didn't improve my results either.

I went back again yesterday, after some thought of how to change things up a little bit, and managed this one.

post-5695-144598536937_thumb.jpg

Along with a mate, I walked a fair bit of the lake side, casting into snags and open water alike, however didn't even get a touch for the rest of the day. On our travels, we came across significant landslip on the south eastern side of the lake.

post-5695-14459853694_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598536943_thumb.jpg

I have tried everything on this body of water, excepting bait lol, and have come up with some pretty lean pickings. I am putting it down to the fact that there is a large amount of fishing pressure, especially on weekends, and it is still a bit cool down this way (although not too sure if this is a valid reason). Nevertheless, I am going to continue to hit this location, as the only thing I haven't really tried is different times of day......work allowing ha ha ha!!!

A pretty dismal report so far, and rushed as I have other work to do, however I still have six weeks down here, so hopefully I will have a better report soon.

Cheers and thanks for reading,

Ryan.

If you get the chance try and get to Lake Glenbawn I have done OK there off the bank as well as in the boat. Try adding a stinger hook and put one of your paddle tail grubs on your spinnerbait, beetle spins slow rolled just off the bottom should work also. If you have deep lures cast out and keep your rod high when retrieving so as you dont catch the bank.

Dino

If you get the chance try and get to Lake Glenbawn I have done OK there off the bank as well as in the boat. Try adding a stinger hook and put one of your paddle tail grubs on your spinnerbait, beetle spins slow rolled just off the bottom should work also. If you have deep lures cast out and keep your rod high when retrieving so as you dont catch the bank.

Dino

Thanks Dino, will definitely give that a crack. Where-abouts do you fish off the bank at Glenbawn? Sat photo coverage of that area is pretty insufficient to judge good spots.

It costs $8 to get through the gate then its about 3ks around to the water. There are several tracks down to the water and a few ks of shoreline to fish. Its easy casting as most has been cleared near the bank. Its a big area. There are cabins and caravan parks and a Kiosk once you are in there.

Dino

Archived