Kayak roof racks

fishingnut

Hey there Beau, we have to carry 2 x Hobie Revos so we got some extra wide Thule roof racks. The cross-section for ours is the older square style which we covered in the Thule foam and we use simple ratchet straps to tie them down, although for peace of mind I think we should invest in some of the lockable straps.

I have an extension bar on one side for when I have to load/unload on my own.

Good to hear you're thinking about joining us on the dark-side.

I have always transported my yaks upside down as this makes them nice and flat to tie off. It's also easier to lift most yaks onto the roof racks upside down as you grab them and lift them over your head anyway so they naturally go into that position. If you have the cradles it just means you have to lift it the extra 150mm to clear them anyway. Save your money and buy some rod holders for the yak from Hook 1 instead.

Couple of good buys one ebay at the moment. A profish ($900) and an espri ($600) hardly been used. Worth a bid if you have the money.

Ute or sedan? If youve got a ute then its easy as throwing on top upside down and rachet straps to tie it down. Or do the same on a sedan with standard roof racks, those kayak holder type deals that sit on the racks are pricey.

Sedan mate, was looking at rola and rhino at there racks :huh: with there cradle set ups and they want around 300 all said and done :angry:

Check eBay for roof racks too. Sometimes the car dealerships flog them off cheap. I got a brand spankers set of Thule roof racks from WA for $100 delivered. Even if they are not the right fit kits you might be able to get some racks for $100 with the wrong kits but then spend $60 and get the right kits. Still half price.

I have rhino commercial/square racks and have made up an extention out of 25mm alluminium. I slides in the end of one rack, and you lift one end of the kayak onto it, then lift the other end on to the racks. Makes loading a 16ft yak onto a 4wd ute very easy.

Terry

I have an extension bar on one side for when I have to load/unload on my own.

What does the extension bar do? How do you use it and what does it cost? I'm in the same place too, sick of having to go and pick up my trailer from my parents place to transport the yak.

Like bigtez described, it helps to lever the kayak onto the car without having to lift the whole weight. See video.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hH9KTreFIs

The ghetto version is to make it out of an extendable tarp pole that is cable tied to your racks, but it might need a vertical pole for support.

Archived