Palm Beach – A couple of firsts & a PB (03.01.11)

Eug

Sorry for the delayed report. Getting back to work coupled with the current environmental situation hasn’t left much time in terms of sorting through photos, etc.

Ever since purchasing the boat, one of my targets was to take the boat through a bar to chase mackerel (or anything really) this summer. I gave myself a deadline that I would accomplish this by the summer’s end, and set about playing deckie on a number of opportunities offered by the generous AFO regulars such as Mark and Dave (tugger and daveylad respectively) and to pay particular attention to the added advice given from others such as Dom (dhess), Bri (Bri The Pom) and quite a number of other AFOers.

On the 3rd of January a window of opportunity arose and being the last week of my holidays I made a last minute call (along with some weather guidance from Bri) to cross the bar and do more of a recon trip primarily but also try to get some of those macks everyone’s been getting into. A few PMs and phone calls later, Bri and I agreed to meet around 03:00AM and cross the Currumbin Bar on first light. With the current forecast the swell would have been almost 0.7m, an incoming tide and some chance of rain, I was expecting a smooth crossing and to be back in by 12:00PM the latest. A last minute dash for some pillies, fuel and last minute checks, Tina and I were in bed nice and early for the drive down.

Barely had we closed our eyes and the alarm went off, surprisingly we were both out of bed quickly and like clockwork we went about our tasks without needing to instruct one another. Coffee, ice, bait, clothes, bungs, camera, etc. all sorted. The drive down was uneventful and we made good time, the boat ramp was surprisingly quiet at 02:30AM and we must have been the fifth or sixth boat on the water. At 02:45AM about 20 cars and their trailers must have queued up all at once. Bri and I spoke briefly on the phone and he was not far behind but it would be some time before he got on the water as the ramp was chaotic. We idled around for about an hour watching some of the more experienced and bigger boats punch straight through. The plan was to follow Bri out, however we had discussed that if the opportunity arose I’d go myself.

Tina and I both agreed that if a smaller boat went through we would watch them and see how they fared. A small tinnie with no nav lights motored past us while we watch them fade away into the gloom. 5 minutes later we made the call in the minimal light to just go ourselves, Tina bravely recorded the whole crossing entrusting me to put the advice and skill that other AFO members had hopefully rubbed off onto me to get us through the bar. Piece of cake, a bit of chop but nothing our boat couldn’t handle! We motored slowly towards the Christmas tree of lights floating about while basking in our success, yet at the same time keeping an eye on the sounder. With all the rubble on the bottom any spot was as good as any and we threw anchor towards the outer edge of the pack of what must have been easily 100 boats.

post-3471-144598569057_thumb.jpg

Carpark of boats.

We had intended on sinking a pillie along the bottom for some reefies and kept one mid column while casting slugs/jigging plastics. Tina unfortunately started to feel a bit seedy so had a lie down to sleep it off, however her rod went off shortly after and she got right into it landing her first baby shovel nose.

post-3471-14459856902_thumb.jpg

Tina's first shovel nose.

post-3471-144598569032_thumb.jpg

Release shot.

Immediately she went back to sleep right after and was only interrupted not long after with another hook up.

post-3471-144598569041_thumb.jpg

Second shovel nose, a little bigger.

post-3471-144598569049_thumb.jpg

Released.

I set about throwing slugs to no avail and due to crowding of real estate from the other boats I succumbed to float lining a pillie which had a few inquisitive hits from pickers. I repeated this and kept feeding more line until one hit began to run and I set the hooks easily, a short fight on 20lb and I had my first Spangled Emperor and thus a PB at 47 cm. Unfortunately no video as Tina was asleep only to awake as I brought it over the side. A quick photo and into the esky she went, happy with that we decided to call it a day and head back in before the other boats got the same idea.

post-3471-144598569067_thumb.jpg

My first Spangled at ~47 cm.

The trip back in was a non-event, however back at the boat ramp it was a different story with boaties rudely cutting in on us as we were about to beach the boat. A bit of kindness from a fellow Bluefin owner and I was able to jump back ahead in the car queue. Off the water and we finally got to meet Bri and his mates, have a bit of a chat as you do and discuss all things fishing. A quick goodbye while they packed up and we were at Yatala Pies by lunch time to reflect back on the morning.

post-3471-144598569076_thumb.jpg

A little crowded but most kept a respectable distance.

We didn’t get into the mackerel, but a good steak pie (with ranga sauce) for lunch and a Spangled Emperor for dinner isn’t too bad either!

I’d like to give a personal thanks to Mark, Dave, Dom and Bri in particular for their experience and advice; and to the other members of AFO for making this virgin bar crossing a safe one.

Cheers for reading.

Eug

I've also uploaded a bit of a video that we crudely put together. It's a little lengthy at 7 minutes but it covers us heading out through the bar (it's quite dark but that's pretty much how it was with the cloud cover), a bit of fishing and the return through the bar! Enjoy

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLdcTzi7jaw

Good on ya Eug, Love the first minute and a half of the video in darkness with the little light then all of a sudden the sound of the engine revving and the light going up and down and then Tinas voice "Have we done it?" Great report look forward to another day out

Dave

Cheers Dave, it was almost like when you and Dom were both at the helm just the other day. A little intense with the limited light but surprisingly easy now that I've done it. Thanks again!

awsome report and great video. well doneee

Thanks. I was watching the video the other night thinking that only Tina and I would have found the dark section interesting :P

Nice report mate!

Nice Spangly as well!

Angus

Thanks Gus

good report mate!! cracker session for the first bar crossing!!

Cheers Wes! Certainly wasn't expecting a Spangled and the shovelnose kept Tina happy.

Cheers

Eug

and then Tinas voice "Have we done it?"

Dave

haha.... I bet Eug hears that a bit :whistle: sorry dude.. couldn't resist.

Well done on the crossing mate. The more people talk about it, the less inclined I am to ever try it again. Did it once in my boat, but with no swell and Tomca at the helm... that was easy as :D

Archived