Advice needed desperately

nathanquigley

Hello everyone,

I've recently moved over from perth and am currently trying to figure out where to fish (land based) with some productivity. I've been scouring forums, and doing some exploring, but I'm still very confused about where to get some good fish around brisbane.

So far I have fished deepwater bend of the pine river, under the hornibrook bridge, on the flats near the hornibrook brige on low tide, deakin park, and a few other spots all with limited to no success. I've been fishing light with both bait, soft plastics and hardbodies, have spoken to locals where I can, but am still unclear on where to try next, and very frustrated with the lack of results thus far. I've heard bribe island, the passage, coomera river, nerang river, some of the beaches along redcliffe and margate are all decent spots, but others say these popular spots are fished out?

Anyway, can anyone give me a pointer to where I should go to get some decent whiting/bream/flathead? I don't expect a spot X but just a general indication of what areas will produce at this time of year. I am still unfamiliar with all the waterways around here and really need some local advice.

Thanks,

Nathan

Hey mate,

Welcome to the Sunshine State (when it's not pouring rain and flooding!!!!). I was born in Perth but Qld has been home since I was 10 months old.

I'll leave it to others to suggest landbased spots cause I haven't really done any (except Hornibrook Bridge years ago - tip I got there is to cast in under the bridge where the bream are hiding which often worke, particularly in winter).

One thing to bear in mind though is that any estuary/river fishing in and around Brisbane has been heavily hampered by the floods. I haven't fished the river since the floods personally but have heard that it's taking a while to fully pick up again.

Good luck, hope you get onto a few.

Kelvin.

Hello and welcome to the site, I too was under the belief that the Brisbane River would have suffered immensely from the floods and who knew how long it would take to come back?

The proof? Bullies/tailor being caught at boggy creek..

Eg_Vtec's effort's the other day at newfarm landing a couple threadies and a flathead? So it all seems to be piecing itself back together :D

Landbased around Brisbane - boggy creek throwing plastics/vibes/live bait?

Flats around bribe - Mulletmusketeer used to do well here?

Or how about driving down/north coasts?

I predominately fish the southern canals and have limited success with bream/trevally/flathead.. End of the day if your out there giving it a go then good on ya! beats sitting around at home =]

Thanks guys,

Yeah i completely agree being out fishing and not catching anything, while a bit frustrating, still beats work or sitting at home!

I guess I'm just keen to get off the mark with a decent fish or two in my new home. I'll def give boggy creek a go with some plastics, and I'm more than willing to drive up north or down south, so bribie island is another place I'll have a crack.

Thinking maybe the seaway at goldcoat? Wonder if there are any decent landbased access points with some structure to cast into?

Thanks for all the advice,

Nathan

Seaway at the coast is very hit and miss landbased, plenty of opportunities to spin slugs or big plastics off the breakwall in the hope a big trev or something is swimming past so that could be an option?

Personally I target the canals etc down south as it's pretty easy to find a spot to be able to cast under some jetties/pontoons and hopefully catch a bream/trev/jack/flathead!

Goodluck mate

I haven't been converted to plastics yet, so I'll give a basic suggestion. You can pump yabbies, swish for pippies, dig for mudworms, or if you can afford it buy some bloodworms (best landbased bait IMO) or any of the small baits at all bait shops. Then fish anywhere you see water along the broadwater. When the tide is moving the fish are feeding. One spot I like down the coast is at runaway bay. Can't think of the name of the park or street, but look on a map, find runaway bay shopping centre, and at the roundabout head to the water (just a quick left then right from the roundabout)nice park heaps of room, weed banks, sand banks etc. Work along there and you will get a feed. Paradise point is another spot, not lots of fish but a few big quality fish. But like the others have said, the rivers and canals are top producers as well. Give them a shot. Basically anywhere in the broady will produce, but not the seaway unless your really bored and want to be more bored, lol.

All the best.

Archived