revenge on the broadwater

nathanquigley

Hey everyone,

those who read my last report, 'Oh my', would know my last trip to the broadwater was a good day turned very bad. Anyway, I decided to get down and try again, so up I got this morning at 3:30am and was down in paradise point/runaway bay area by 4:30

Started off predawn on the soft plastics to no avail, so switched to prawn as the sun crept up. A few moses perch, then wham! something decent runs off with the line. Reeling it in, I can feel its a strong fish, but not overly heavy. Curious, I pull it up onto the rocks and I have a spangled emperor at 31cm =D Good start. After releasing the emperor, I got onto a few bream, but it went dead from there so I moved over to a sandy dropoff.

Again using prawn, I managed 2 legal whiting here at 28cm and 25cm, both of which went in the esky (this time locked securely in my car!!). Another whiting came in, this one tiny at around 8-9cm. The hook was through the top lip, so I thought I'd give the little guy a few casts as a livie and if he didnt get eaten I'd release him. I waded out and cast out a little deeper, and the line came up taught a few moments later. At first It felt like there was nothing on the line, but as I reeled a little closer, the drag went squeally and after a minute or two I had a 48cm flathead on the beach. =D into the esky.

Deciding to move again, I had a go at a favourite rock wall-canal entrance of mine, using live sandworm as bait this time. zzzzz. nothing happening. Then as I take a sip of water, BANG my bait is hit and the drag goes crazy (the braid cutting my finger in the process).

So, spitting out a mouthful of water, I leap up and battle the unknown creature for about 5 minutes before bringining him onto the rocks, and was very happy to see a red throat/sweet lip (not sure the difference?) emperor at 39cm, just above legal keeping size. Chuffed, he goes into the esky too. With a pretty well stocked esky, and the sun getting warmer, I decide its time to get out of there before my car gets broken into and I lose my haul again.

So with furtive glances around me i get in the car and screech out of there.

All in all, a great morning and a big step in forgetting the frustration of the last trip down there.

Will try and get the photos off my new phone to post up.

Thanks for reading,

Nathan

Around they area I would suggest grassy sweetlip mate. Not dissimilar to spangled emperor, little less red on them than red throat. Great eating all the same!! At least this time you got to keep the feed!!! :)

On an aside, live baits are subject to all legal sizes in qld as they are technically in your possession.

Around they area I would suggest grassy sweetlip mate. Not dissimilar to spangled emperor, little less red on them than red throat. Great eating all the same!! At least this time you got to keep the feed!!! :)

On an aside, live baits are subject to all legal sizes in qld as they are technically in your possession.

Thanks mate, yeah not sure what the last one was, it had lovley blue spots on the scales and blue lines on the had, did have a red throat but not much red on the fins. I will upload a photo when i figure out how to use this damn new phone. As for the whiting I used for live bait, it was a trumpeter, so didn't have to worry about size.

Cheers,

Nathan

Thanks mate, yeah not sure what the last one was, it had lovley blue spots on the scales and blue lines on the had, did have a red throat but not much red on the fins. I will upload a photo when i figure out how to use this damn new phone. As for the whiting I used for live bait, it was a trumpeter, so didn't have to worry about size.

Cheers,

Nathan

Yeah, sounds like a grassy. They are not uncommon around that area, 39 is a dam good one though!! All the emperors have a bit of red on the throat. Suggest you have a squizz on the dpi website, they have pics of the common species - www.dpi.qld.gov.au

Cheers,

Nathan

Yeah, sounds like a grassy. They are not uncommon around that area, 39 is a dam good one though!! All the emperors have a bit of red on the throat. Suggest you have a squizz on the dpi website, they have pics of the common species - www.dpi.qld.gov.au

Was in Bcf the other day and they have some real handy business size cards about the various flatties, grunters, emperor species ect. Really really handy info :)

Archived