overseas electronics.

big dave

From another site:

"Lowrance have recently implemented their Geofencing technology into the new units (via a software update) to limit the functionality of US marketed equipment. Geofencing is a GIS term whereby software identifies a region on a map. Lowrance have a geofence programmed into the units that identifies (via GPS) where the unit is, and if the unit is an American standard unit, and the current location is outside of 30 degrees West and International Dateline East of the Americas, the unit will revert to US imperial units only and flash a message on the screen continuously saying "This unit is not set up in this area please contact authorized dealer".

Just passing on the info, if you google "lowrance and geofencing" and wade through it all, there is plenty of info available.

I can't comment on the radio frequency stuff as I have no idea sorry mate

Also if you buy from OS you will need to send it back at your cost should you need to have a waranty claim. I bought a Lowrance combo unit years ago saved a fortune and have not had a ounce of trouble with it, so I would do it again.

You need to ensure the VHF radio has the following Australian channels.

Channel Usage

6 SAR , Port Operations, Commercial

8 Port Operations, Commercial

9 - 14 Port Operations

16 Distress & Safety

20 Port Operations

22 This frequency is used in some areas as a Marine repeater channel, subject to local arrangements.

23 - 28 Seaphone

67 Distress & Safety

68 Port Operations

70 Exclusively DSC

71 Professional Fishing

72 Yachts, Commercial, Professional, Port Ops.

73 Non - Commercial Fishing, Yachts etc.

74 Commercial

77 Yachts, Commercial fishing

78 Commercial

79 Port Operations

87 Seaphone

Operator qualifications

Operators of marine VHF radiocommunications equipment must be qualified in accordance with the requirements of the Maritime Ship Station class licence.

Maritime ship station class licence

Under a class licence, all users operate in the same spectrum segment on a shared basis and are subject to the same conditions. A class licence governs the frequencies that may be used, commonly prescribes equipment standards, and may specify other technical and operational parameters. Class licences do not have to be applied for and licence fees are not applicable.

The Maritime Ship Station class licence authorises the conditional operation of: maritime ship stations on designated channels in the 27 MHz and VHF maritime bands on a shared basis, certain UHF on-board communications equipment and navigation radars.

Use of frequencies other than those detailed in the class licence must be authorised by a separate apparatus licence. Licence fees apply.

they dont put a 3 year warrenty on them because they will brake in 1 year.. good products last im sure i wont need the 3 years

dont be too sure about that dave boating electicals can be hit and miss at times. i had my $2500 worth of raymarine chartplotter die after 1.5 years use and i baby my gear big time always garaged ect but got the unit replaced no probs cause it was Aussie purchased, got over 3 years on the furuno sounder now without a hitch though. But i must say if the dollar was as good as it is now i would taken the risk have imported worst comes to worse you just have to cover cost of post and cop a big wait for warranty claims.

yea i wont be going lowrance maybe raymarine. any word on the radios people?

i wouldnt touch lowrance with a 500ft pole. i baught a x91 and a smaller version as well when they first came out and 5-8 weeks after the warrenty ran out they both stuffed up and lowrance would evan look at them. i evan went over to lowrance at hemmat or where ever it is and they just said its out of warrenty, parts arnt available, you should think of buying 2 new units

The vhf is not a problem they have 3 settings at least the icom does and we use international setting here which is I ,i got mine from fishon in the states for $120 about 3 yrs ago and havent had a problem . If you google fishon pat will answer all your questions and he sends everything well packed ...matt

• 2 weeks later...
Did you end up going through with this? Can you recommend any shops in the US? I have decided to put a VHF in my tinny and am looking at a Cobra unit on eBay for about $140 posted, they sell the same unit here for $250.

Check out this thread mate, its got a bit of info :)
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/6-electronics/259110-buying-marine-electronics-from-us#259110

Archived