looking for a 2500-3000 spinning reel

plugga

G’day

I’ve been looking around the place for a decent 2500-3000 size reel with a decent amount of drag, after looking for awhile I’ve finally found something I’m looking for a “Shimano Saragosa 3000fâ€. Before I buy it I would just like to ask a few questions:

1. would this reel be any good for casting slugs, poppers, plastics for tuna, small gts etc.

2. Spooled with 30-40lb braid would it be good for bottom bouncing for reefies (coral trout, Nannys, Red emperor etc)

If anybody has experience with them just any feedback would be helpful.

P.S: I’m opened to any other suggestions on reels my budget is pretty low 150-300 bucks :whistle:

cheers

Jordan

IF the Sol is a bit past your budget I can also recommend the Daiwa Exceller DA 3000.

I have one spooled with 15lb for all round fishing and the second spool with 30lb for barra up in the dams.

It is very smooth, but doesn't quite have as big a drag as the Sol.

For $150 it is pretty nice.

A 2500 or 3000 reel will be way under for reds,trout, or most other things up north but a 3000 would be good in the bay I think I have a 15 to 30lb rod and a 5000 stradic with upgraded drag and lost about 300 bucks worth of braid last time at 1770 as well as 2 anchors and ropes because of braid And anchor ropes don't mix one place I fish over gunned might be looking at 2 setups

Here is the shimano exsence and awsome reel not a local though

/>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Shimano-Exsence-CI4-C3000M-Spininng-Reel-EX-W-Box-/120720305631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1b7daddf

If jap market not your thing the saragosa would be the goer super tough reel

The exsence is One of the smoothest reels I have ever owned

Drag is 10kg max

Saragosa is a reincarnation of a very old Shimano design, much too old for my taste. A reel of the past decade. I'd choose something newer...

Also, small saragosa reels (not the big 14-18 k) are not so reliable lacking the second (rear) ball bearing on the pinion gear.

Archived