I'm in the market!

malram

Hey guys

I'm in the market for a boat 4-4.5m, something that I can take out into the bay but mostly in estuaries/rivers. Needs casting deck and preferably center or side console.

Budget 5-10k

/>http://boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=10075039 looks like a good deal to me but I'm not sure on how that hull would ride in the bay on a bit of a windy day.

Would prefer it to have most of the wiring done, nav lights etc but also planning to do my own upgrades

Any suggestions? Polycraft another that I've been looking at, heard they ride well.

Thanks in advance,

Mal

Yep insanely underpowered. Need min 40hp for that hull. U will be hard pressed buying side console for under 10k. Polycraft are ok but u prob won't get one with your budget. Tiller steer will get u a newer better boat with more hp. Don't necessary need side console for estuary and the occasional bay trip

glad I wasn't the only one that thought it was gutless, get it and put a 60 on it, then you will be flying. My mate has a little cruise craft, the one in the pictures from my wathumba reports, it is around 4.2 and has a mariner 4 stroke 60 on the back, with two blokes in it she does 50 - 55 km/hr, easily, and great economy, he got from Hearvey Bay, to Wathumba, loaded up to the max, then we went crabbing every day, and it still had a bit of fuel before we went home, 45 lt tank.

my thoughts are! yeah it would be ok for rivers and short trips, say fishermans island to the mouth of the river. much further than this sort of distance like say, jacobs well to the northern broadwater would definately be a no, no. like the other lads have said just to undergunned for that kind of trip. and as for the ride in the bay on a choppy kinda day after the wind got up commin back from mud for example, also and once again, could be on the verge of dangerous i believe as it wouldnt have the punch to pull the hull away from the short sharp chop, hard to explain , but those that know what i'm talking about will also agree i think, because your not on the plane, but sometimes you are, if you get my meaning, and wear ya raincoat and kidney belt, the bay can be a harsh and unforgiving place to be at times, it doesnt take long to become rough, and from there to dangerous in even a shorter time. so in saying all that, yes it looks way underpowered from what i can see, for what you might want to do. but yes you could use it also, in the estuaries for short trips, as said nothing like a slow boat. just a pretty slow boat !, these are my opinions though, keep looking i believe.

rob

my thoughts are! yeah it would be ok for rivers and short trips, say fishermans island to the mouth of the river. much further than this sort of distance like say, jacobs well to the northern broadwater would definately be a no, no. like the other lads have said just to undergunned for that kind of trip. and as for the ride in the bay on a choppy kinda day after the wind got up commin back from mud for example, also and once again, could be on the verge of dangerous i believe as it wouldnt have the punch to pull the hull away from the short sharp chop, hard to explain , but those that know what i'm talking about will also agree i think, because your not on the plane, but sometimes you are, if you get my meaning, and wear ya raincoat and kidney belt, the bay can be a harsh and unforgiving place to be at times, it doesnt take long to become rough, and from there to dangerous in even a shorter time. so in saying all that, yes it looks way underpowered from what i can see, for what you might want to do. but yes you could use it also, in the estuaries for short trips, as said nothing like a slow boat. just a pretty slow boat !, these are my opinions though, keep looking i believe.

rob

Cheers for the info, yeah I know all to well how quickly the bay can change. Was out in a 30ft kevlcat was hit by easy 20-30knot SW winds on what was meant to be a calm day (and was!). The ride home (at night) with the large swell and white caps was not pleasant and worrying even in such a beast. Only due to not being able to see a darn thing. Spotty could only do so much.

The bay would be a rarity would be a quick punt south of mud across to Dunwich or similar.

Will keep my eye out- thanks for the suggestions guys.

Any suggestions on hull make??

Thanks noname,

Came across this;

Clark Abalone alloy boat, and trailer.

Recent 2K paint. All new upholstery. New spray curtain on front. LED lights fitted inside gunnel rail. LED nav lights. New anchor, chain and rope. Comes with bimini(has been removed in photo, but is included). Bilge pump. All new wiring throughout boat. V-Sheet, flares, fire extinguisher, life jackets included.

Comes with GARMIN 421 chart plotter and fish finder. Sony stereo MP3 player. Recent new battery.

Mariner 60Hp engine in awesome condition always serviced, flushed and maintained. Stainless prop & spare alloy prop. Two fuel tanks.

Trailer in great condition. New gal stub axles and bearings. Plastic guards and alloy wheels. Dyneema rope fitted to winch, which means no breakages or memory problems like wire rope.

12months rego on both boat and trailer.

All inspections welcome. Located on Northside of Brisbane, Narangba.

/>http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Power-Boats/AdNumber=TP004480080?AdOnTop=

What's your thoughts?? 60hp all the bells and whistles it seems. Not sure about the front splash guard for using front casting deck (it is alot lower than I would prefer but still)

Not sure on the Abalone's hull have seen a few around.

Thanks noname,

Came across this;

Clark Abalone alloy boat, and trailer.

Recent 2K paint. All new upholstery. New spray curtain on front. LED lights fitted inside gunnel rail. LED nav lights. New anchor, chain and rope. Comes with bimini(has been removed in photo, but is included). Bilge pump. All new wiring throughout boat. V-Sheet, flares, fire extinguisher, life jackets included.

Comes with GARMIN 421 chart plotter and fish finder. Sony stereo MP3 player. Recent new battery.

Mariner 60Hp engine in awesome condition always serviced, flushed and maintained. Stainless prop & spare alloy prop. Two fuel tanks.

Trailer in great condition. New gal stub axles and bearings. Plastic guards and alloy wheels. Dyneema rope fitted to winch, which means no breakages or memory problems like wire rope.

12months rego on both boat and trailer.

All inspections welcome. Located on Northside of Brisbane, Narangba.

/>http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Power-Boats/AdNumber=TP004480080?AdOnTop=

What's your thoughts?? 60hp all the bells and whistles it seems. Not sure about the front splash guard for using front casting deck (it is alot lower than I would prefer but still)

Not sure on the Abalone's hull have seen a few around.

that looks unreal, splash guards would come in really handy if it blows up with a bit of swell

yeah it's neat and tidy, but it aint no gt falcon, seems a lil pricy for what it is, has a few years on it that 1, but break it down.

the motor @say $2000

the trailer @ say $1500

now the hull? dont look so good now for an old boat with a fresh coat of paint, and obviously painted up to be sold. seems a lot of coin for what it really is, be patient and i can keep an eye out also.

Yep 10k is a rip for that. The hull and motor look to be about 20yrs old?god knows how many hours are on the motor, which also looks if too good to be true condition. And who gives a 10k boat a 2k paint job before a sale, along with what looks like very fresh carpet too all over. Kinda suss I think. I really think u need to spent more money to get something newer to avoid buying problems or go tiller steer

personally, i'd be going basic, using it and think about what you want and exactly where ya want it, as ole mate from down the road doesnt know where things should be, they are put in places cos they wanna sell it and it seems like it has all the goodies. take ya time and find the right 1 first time. thats my advice.

• 1 month later...

So an update!

I've got a boat lined up, it's currently at Yamaha Stones Corner getting the rundown and inventory list.

Through Brownie, I got shown this boat (wasn't really for sale) with Wilson's Fishing, without a full list it is;

2006 Polycraft 4.1m Challenger

They have a deal with yamaha so a relatively new Yamaha 50hp 4-stroke tiller steer (with the multifunction handle)

Hummingbird Sidescan sounder (at rear)

Minn Kota leccy with i-pilot & matrix sounder at front

bilge pump

fuel filter

nav lights

two batteries etc

Full blown rig for fishing.

Can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSVIn_1tRU8

So waiting on Yamaha to give me the rundown then hopefully if all is well settle in July.

Looking forward to it!

Mal

Funny, here is the exact boat I am looking at again. It's a movie star!

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FCJsRvX0fzY#at=116

Must have used the Wilson Fishing boat for their shots. Can you guys see me taking this boy for a spin? heh

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update!

Had the report back from Stones Corner Marine.

the 50hp Yammy has 147 hours on it, with 60% of them <1000rpm and I think 1.5 hours over 4,000rpm.

Have a few issues with the trailer and nav lights that are going to get fixed up prior to sale.

Not long now!

Ive got 2 boats now for the bay and river, I purchased a 4 1/2 meter quintrex tinny, its got every bell and wistle including underwater strike cameras and dvd player, stereo led lights,live bait tanks.. its been great, I may be selling it though because I just bought a 5 meter glass v series with a 75 mariner and havnt taken the tinny out since. Ive always had tinnies or plate boats but Im converted, glass is awesome, especialy in the short chop thats always around in the bay, so much more comfortable. The tinnie is cheaper to run obviously and has pleanty of room for 2 or three guys to fish and with the 3 cyl yamaha 30hp really gets going but wet and uncomfortable in chop. My sister in law is one of the owners of fishing monthly and one of thier boats is a poly, theyve kitted it right out with everything, but still im not that impressed with it, its ride is ok but the hull chasses swell and you have to be on the ball drivin it.. my 2 bob

Ive got 2 boats now for the bay and river, I purchased a 4 1/2 meter quintrex tinny, its got every bell and wistle including underwater strike cameras and dvd player, stereo led lights,live bait tanks.. its been great, I may be selling it though because I just bought a 5 meter glass v series with a 75 mariner and havnt taken the tinny out since. Ive always had tinnies or plate boats but Im converted, glass is awesome, especialy in the short chop thats always around in the bay, so much more comfortable. The tinnie is cheaper to run obviously and has pleanty of room for 2 or three guys to fish and with the 3 cyl yamaha 30hp really gets going but wet and uncomfortable in chop. My sister in law is one of the owners of fishing monthly and one of thier boats is a poly, theyve kitted it right out with everything, but still im not that impressed with it, its ride is ok but the hull chasses swell and you have to be on the ball drivin it.. my 2 bob

Hey BassTracker, thanks for your input. I'm pretty set on a poly, especially if it has a 50hp to boot, kinda discounts the weight issues.

I've spent hours researching hulls etc and majority are positive for the poly, especially the 4.1 challenger which I am looking at. What poly was the ride you had been in? There are a few that are described as a wet ride etc but the Challenger for me has nothing but rave reviews.

Mal

• 2 weeks later...

Final list! All ready to rock an roll!

2006 Polycraft 4.10 Challenger (w/ polycraft approved trailer)

Full carpeted

Yamaha 50hp 4-stroke (147 hours)

2 Batteries (with isolation switch)

Humminbird 797 Sidescan sounder / gps combo

Humminbird Matrix bow mounted.

Minnkota 55 Bow Mount w/ i-Pilot

Full travel cover & motor cover

Flare Kit, V Sheet, 3 PFD Type1

Fuel Filter Water seperator

Rod holders

1000gbp Bilge pump

Sand anchor

Nav lights

$11,000 - picking it up next week! woo

• 2 weeks later...

Took Dansike and a mate out on Monday/Tuesday- great boat. Had an absolute blast fishing late monday night and early tuesday morning around the tweed. With 3 on the boat, 2x 20l fuel tanks, full esky with beers and all our gear I was hitting 28knots. Would love to see the speed I can get out of the 50hp yammy with less gear and people :)

Archived