Pike as Bait

Malcolm

I noticed in Tuggers thread Madmullet uses Pike for Snapper.

Who else rates Pike as a bait live,dead,in stips,cubes or cut in half.

I ask as they are easy to catch and plentiful and was thinking about freezing some.

Oh and I spose they would make a good Crab bait?

Got about 30 of the buggers up at Bribie last night. Must have been a big school of them feeding. Normally there are a few but this was insane. Would throw soft plastic out... literally let it drift with current, wind in 2 seconds later, pike.

• 4 months later...
Got about 30 of the buggers up at Bribie last night. Must have been a big school of them feeding. Normally there are a few but this was insane. Would throw soft plastic out... literally let it drift with current, wind in 2 seconds later, pike.

Where abouts i would love to take the kids and use the HB lures i have.

I'm keen to know where and how to catch pike around Wynnum and the Port. Sound like excellent bait. I've seen videos of people catching them on multi hook jigs like this
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U_dLAKPXiA

Looks way too easy, guess you need to know where to try it :)

Also sounds like pike are masters of destroying lures, perhaps soft plastics aren't the best way to go? I guess if they tend to be higher in the water column light spoons might work well?

i LOVE using them for bait, ive caught snapper, tailor, jew, bream, flattys, and even had a small tuna take one, only problem is i cant get many :( does anyone wanna catch me some for some $$$ ???

The sale of fish whether its for bait or not is illegal with out a commercial licence.

yes thanks i have already been informed of this

Archived