Abu Garcia Soron Stx 70

I read a lot of good things about this reel, so bought an SX10 Soron from the USA last year. I was not impressed considering the number of bearings in it. The reel was about a smooth as a hand operated coffee grinder. I sold it and took a loss on it. I've long been a fan of Abu baitcasters, but every Abu spin reel I've bought has been a disappointment.

I recently purchased a Soron Stx 70 and I must say it isn't what i thought it would be. The drag system is shocking and my mates have nick named it 'Lumpy'. Anyone know if this could be fixed or is anyone having the same problems?

I dont buy cheep reels, i have heard alot of bad things about these reels, so my advise is for a quick fix ''BIN IT'' :dry: ;):)

I must agree. I have bought 2 Abu Garcia Soron Stx 70s and they are a great loss. I dont understand how a real can have 10 HPCR bearings and it is still pathetic. I have even lost fish with this reel as the drag is so lumpy they just snap off.... talking about it just gets me worked up.

I must agree. I have bought 2 Abu Garcia Soron Stx 70s and they are a great loss. I dont understand how a real can have 10 HPCR bearings and it is still pathetic. I have even lost fish with this reel as the drag is so lumpy they just snap off.... talking about it just gets me worked up.

Look dont get me wrong sometime you might get a cheep reel that lasts for ever, but i have found save your $$$$$ and get something good with a good name behind it. Most of my reels come with a 5 or 10 year warranty. It realy is worth saving you hard earned $$$$$ and buying a middle to top range reel if you love your fishing...Well Thats my thoughts ;):)

Best of luck ;)

very strange. because the soron stx are the newer version of the cardinal 800 series. i got a 802 which is same as soron stx20. soron has 2 more bearings. but the drag on the cardinal is beatiful. but as the smoothness it is average. still smooth but not as smooth compared to say my sol and stradic c14. but yeah the drag on my cardinal is pretty nice. much better then most my reels.

Look dont get me wrong sometime you might get a cheep reel that lasts for ever, but i have found save your $$$$$ and get something good with a good name behind it. Most of my reels come with a 5 or 10 year warranty. It realy is worth saving you hard earned $$$$$ and buying a middle to top range reel if you love your fishing...Well Thats my thoughts ;):)

Best of luck ;)

Mate my reels are rubbish, I have a 4 year old shimano aernos, a $12.50 1000 sized ebay reel (which I bought just to get a bit of bait, but I actually quite like it as a reel :/), a daiwa Exceler 100H baitcaster (which I bought second hand from Rocket) and a new austackle 2000 finesse, and I really don't mind any of them. Having used a mates sol etc, there is a difference, but I still manage to make do with what I have. Looking forward to getting some good stuff when I finally save up the quid, but quite content with what I've got for the time being

I wish i could say the same about the Soron. I wasted my holiday work money on them.

sorry to hear mate. maybe you can open up the drag system and give it a clean up. sometimes the drag washers are over greased and needs abit of a wipe. and it will be smooth. how much did you pay for them

I think it can be hit and miss on a lot of reels, I've got a cheap Abu and it is smooth and the drag works well, but I had to go through a few before I found a good one. If you are looking for a heavy duty spin reel I have heard the Penn Spinfisher is a good reel on a budget. I'm not a big fan of buying reels from ebay I'd much rather go into a tackle shop and have a play with a few different types and make sure the one I'm buying is the the one that feels right, don't get that oppurtunity with ebay. Having said that I don't think you would have the same issues with Daiwa or Shimano reels as they seem to be more consistant with quality control. Just my opinion.

I payed $170 for both and then bought 2 Wilson Live fibres to back them up. Im thinking ill just go for the smart option and buy myself a sustain 8000. I might make a post to see what people think is the best high duty spin reel for its price.

get rid of lumpy and get a 2011 dogfight for jigging in new zealand like me and chronis

I payed $170 for both and then bought 2 Wilson Live fibres to back them up. Im thinking ill just go for the smart option and buy myself a sustain 8000. I might make a post to see what people think is the best high duty spin reel for its price.

get rid of lumpy and get a 2011 dogfight for jigging in new zealand like me and chronis

This is where the fish are at boys ;):)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAkKntcsULg

Archived