Going Fishing - Varsity Lakes, Burleigh Heads Area

Manni79

Hey Everyone

I have a work conference at Varsity Lakes next Thursday & Friday (26/27 May) so I figured I would take the rods with me for an early morning flick !!

There are plenty of lakes, canals and Burleigh Heads is not far away either.... I haven't fished out that way before so looking for some advice on where to go??

Also if your down that way and want to join me let me know :cheer:

Looking at a sunrise start, and may do an evening session depending on what work has planned

Cheers, Manni

Make sure you let us know how you get on if you go to Varsity Manni, my Dad lives right across from the lake and I'd love to give it a crack sometime.

Hey Ant, which lake does your dad live across from, there are a few clustered around varsity.

I'm thinking the lakes could produce well maybe a couple monster lurking in there :dry:

Lake Orr mate, have heard of lots of trevs, sharkies, breambos, jacks, whiting and the odd cod in there but never took my rod down when we were building his place so can't confirm it for myself.

Thanks mate, alot of property has been developed around the lake but still looks like there are a few various spots to access the water, may try this on the Friday at 1st light !!

Will definitely let you know how i go !!

G'day Manni, There is a flood gate that opens up every day at Varsity Lakes I think about 12pm and have witnessed 40cm plus bream being caught there when it does! Sounds like a good lunch break flicking a few lures round there or you could always say "What conference?" Lol

Anyway I live on the coast and always keen for a fish so I'll pm ya with my details if ya wanna have a flick down this way sometime.

Rob

G'day Manni, There is a flood gate that opens up every day at Varsity Lakes I think about 12pm and have witnessed 40cm plus bream being caught there when it does! Sounds like a good lunch break flicking a few lures round there or you could always say "What conference?" Lol

Anyway I live on the coast and always keen for a fish so I'll pm ya with my details if ya wanna have a flick down this way sometime.

Rob

Sounds like a plan Rob, have replied to your PM, will buzz you next week !

Hey Manni, I've fished lake Orr a heap of times, picked up some real nice lizards and trevs there, and 2 big bullies. Just mind the area near the tidal gates there's a heap of steel mesh covered rocky banks that love keeping ya lures. :)

Hey mate, thanks for the tip !! come along if you ain't got any plans !

Hey Manni, I've fished lake Orr a heap of times, picked up some real nice lizards and trevs there, and 2 big bullies. Just mind the area near the tidal gates there's a heap of steel mesh covered rocky banks that love keeping ya lures. :)

Hey mate, thanks for the tip !! come along if you ain't got any plans !

May just do that. Will let ya know.

night sessions?? manni... you should be ashamed. Not getting your booze on at a work conference??? Sunrise I can understand but night?? you're kidding yourself.

Shannon (can't remember his AFO name) fished there quite a lot and did pretty well. I had a crack at it once with Angus for a sunrise session there and we dudded out.

night sessions?? manni... you should be ashamed. Not getting your booze on at a work conference??? Sunrise I can understand but night?? you're kidding yourself.

Shannon (can't remember his AFO name) fished there quite a lot and did pretty well. I had a crack at it once with Angus for a sunrise session there and we dudded out.

There wil be drinking and lots of it mate, just thinking i may be able to sneek out prior the drinking session or after for a night flick haha

>http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=gold+coast&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Gold+Coast+Queensland&ll=-28.043027,153.404868&spn=0.007878,0.013711&t=h&z=16

we have caught plenty of big tarpon and giant herring hear on surface and some big bread on s.p's. this is fresh wter on the wst side of the wier.

Thanks Kurt, your map shows up further north on the goldie, where i'm looking at fishing in Varsity is either Lake Orr, Swan, Heron or Sivabank

hey mate, i live about 200m away from lake orr, I find that fishing the western end of the lake around the island and the edges to be reasonably productive for flathead, trevs and bream, using squidgie wrigglers blood worm or wasabi, or shallow divers but can be a bit snaggy.

hey mate, i live about 200m away from lake orr, I find that fishing the western end of the lake around the island and the edges to be reasonably productive for flathead, trevs and bream, using squidgie wrigglers blood worm or wasabi, or shallow divers but can be a bit snaggy.

Cool thanks, that little island looks like there is a path across it? can you walk across it ??

Cool thanks, that little island looks like there is a path across it? can you walk across it ??

yeah , it goes across to the other side of the lake, water depth around there is about 2-3m

Archived