Catching Sqiud..........Help to get started needed

Gcarj

Hi Boys,

Was down near Cleveland mid week throwing some SP's around and saw what I thought to be weed just sitting there, but as I occasionally looked down I noticed 'the weed' was in a slightly different spot and there appeared to be more of them, turned out to be about 10 squid!

I thought then that I would get a squid lure that was in my tackle box out and try and catch one.............I FAILED MISERABLY!!!!

They didn't even move when the lure came right in front of them, the leader even hit one as I was retrieving it......it then struck me........I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT HELL I'M DOING!!

I have taken a photo of the stuff I have so you can tell me if im on the right track.

The prawn lure seemed 'heavy' in the water..........how fast, and how do, you actually use these things?

And with the squid jig, once you've put the fish on it..........what do you do then??

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me so I can get some.......

Cheers

Glenn

post-8723-144598636812_thumb.jpg

post-8723-144598636822_thumb.jpg

The lure one, well that can be jigged usually like a plastic, either violently or subtly, or even just steadily retrieved. The bait spike, I believe you just impale the pilly etc on it, tie on your line then suspend it under a float

I warm the squid jig in some warm water every few minutes. I don't know if they can 'feel' the heat and home in on it but I just dead stick it and they grab it

With a fish on it or just the actual steel bit?..........sounds like an interesting technique?

With Squid they're either in the mood for a feed or wont touch anything. When they're in the mood though they'll hit most things like squid jigs, plastics, minnows even stickbaits. With the squid jigs I work it just like a plastic by letting it sink then flicking the rod tip up and repeating the process back to yourself. It also pays to have the right weight squid jig for the depth you're fishing as you don't want it sinking too quickly. I do find in the cleaner water that a lighter leader of 8lb flurocarbon helps as well as using some of the quality japanese jigs in more natural colours. Good luck catching em.

Cheers

Mark

With Squid they're either in the mood for a feed or wont touch anything. When they're in the mood though they'll hit most things like squid jigs, plastics, minnows even stickbaits. With the squid jigs I work it just like a plastic by letting it sink then flicking the rod tip up and repeating the process back to yourself. It also pays to have the right weight squid jig for the depth you're fishing as you don't want it sinking too quickly. I do find in the cleaner water that a lighter leader of 8lb flurocarbon helps as well as using some of the quality japanese jigs in more natural colours. Good luck catching em.

Cheers

Mark

Well this day they certinally werent in the mood for a feed. The lure I had sunk like a rocket. I was at BCF yesterday to look at what they had and they all had the same weight i have.........a 3/0?

Is the retreive quite quick?

Sometimes the lures that have super slow sink rates work best for me. They seem way more life like in the water. Also Tomca's point re. 'warming' the jig makes good sense as i've heard they hunt 'thermally' as well as 'visually'. Lots of the new jap jigs actually have a different cover on them that raises the temp (or just wont let it fall to the surrounding water temp) . I haven't used them but Yamashita's in natural colours work well for me.

cheers

Sweresy

Yamashita make rangefinder jigs in a clothless slow sink model which work a treat. What I also do to some of my jigs is shave the weight down so the jig just sinks and put some soldering wire around the base of the hooks to give it a horizontal sink. Works perfect when site casting to the suckers.

cheers

Yamashita make rangefinder jigs in a clothless slow sink model which work a treat. What I also do to some of my jigs is shave the weight down so the jig just sinks and put some soldering wire around the base of the hooks to give it a horizontal sink. Works perfect when site casting to the suckers.

cheers

As I said previously my lure sunk like a rocket so shaving the weight down is a good idea. Is the soldering wire to make the backside sink quicker?

How do you work the lure?

cheers

As I said previously my lure sunk like a rocket so shaving the weight down is a good idea. Is the soldering wire to make the backside sink quicker?

There's no correct way of working the lure as what works a treat one day doesn't get a look in the next. If you can see the squid try different techniques past them and see what grabs there attention. Even if you don't see any squid and you're working the jig correctly they seem to come out of nowhere and with quite a turn of speed at times. If you're land or jetty based fan out your casts and work it differently each time. So first cast let it sink and just slow wind it, second cast let it sink and twitch it like a plastic, third cast dont let it sink and twitch it but keep it nearer the surface, fourth cast work it back with quite a bit more action on it making it dart around more etc etc. As you cast and retrieve it and eventually if you stick at it you will fool one into taking the jig and you'll find yourself sticking to that technique that got one for you in the first place. Also if you're wanting spots to practice the mouth of the Wynnum/Manly marina is a good start, also the rock wall on the opposite side casting north towards the port and for me the big stone jetty near the wading pool at Wynnum at night has produced the best results for me.

Cheers

Mark

cheers

There's no correct way of working the lure as what works a treat one day doesn't get a look in the next. If you can see the squid try different techniques past them and see what grabs there attention. Even if you don't see any squid and you're working the jig correctly they seem to come out of nowhere and with quite a turn of speed at times. If you're land or jetty based fan out your casts and work it differently each time. So first cast let it sink and just slow wind it, second cast let it sink and twitch it like a plastic, third cast dont let it sink and twitch it but keep it nearer the surface, fourth cast work it back with quite a bit more action on it making it dart around more etc etc. As you cast and retrieve it and eventually if you stick at it you will fool one into taking the jig and you'll find yourself sticking to that technique that got one for you in the first place. Also if you're wanting spots to practice the mouth of the Wynnum/Manly marina is a good start, also the rock wall on the opposite side casting north towards the port and for me the big stone jetty near the wading pool at Wynnum at night has produced the best results for me.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark, ill give those ideas a go.............really want to catch the little buggers!

if you can see the squid, bring it in past them and once you see them see it just let it sink and sit on the bottom till they take it, could be as long as a couple of minutes without moving

Wow........I hope that can work for me. Sounds like a method that I like........are they that stupid?

theyre smart... thats why they dont just take it strait away, arrow squid are dumber than tigers, i was squiddin with angus one night and they were following the jigs in but wouldnt take it till the jig stopped and rested it on a rock twitching it till the squid took it, its good fun being able to watch it

Do you guys have any success during day time recently?

I know eging works at day and night but I just couldnt get any during day lately. I went out yesterday from about 11am to 3pm chasing the high tide. Got 2 hits and 1 was very aggressively pulling drag out but both were missed. They just grabbed for only 2 seconds then let go. No tenticle/tissue left on the hook. I wonder they were fish maybe pike or tailor rather than squid. :dry:

cheers

The soldering wire is more or less for squaring up the sink. If you watch a jig sink most of them sink head first. IMO this just gives it a more natural look when site casting to the suckers.

No real trick using these modified jigs as I only use the modified jigs when site casting. When you spot one just cast out passed it and slow roll it in towards it then let it sit there and it'll very slowly sink. If the squid doesnt grab it a few twitches can usually get them to grab the jig.

cheers

Archived