Bagged out... 3 hours of charter to go

kreel

We organized a charter with a mate of tBox (Tony) and took RyanYoung in case we lost anything overboard and needed someone to nude up and go after it. Having seen some good reports from Smithy up Moolooliaba way we decided to give him a shot.

post-2889-144598669514_thumb.jpg

Ryan champing at the bit to nude up

It was a VERY gentlemanly start to the day. We waited to hear from Rob (the Charter operator) before we headed off from Brisbane - he'd had some technical problem the day before so wanted to smooth that away before we headed out. I had the call at 6:30 am and marshalled the troops. I whipped up bacon and egg sarnies for the trip while I waited. I thought I was doing a nice thing but Ryan asked tBox why I was always the bitch! So after spitting into his sarnie I finished getting ready and off we went in Tony's car.

We were out of the harbour and heading to get livies around 9:00 am. First spot... no livies, second spot... no livies, this went on for some time, and Rob was looking a little uncomfortable with only a small brick of squid as backup. Luckily we hit a good spot and it was 3 or 4 slimmies per haul and we soon had enough to head off.

post-2889-144598669526_thumb.jpg

tBox and Tony discussing tactics.

The first spot was a sunken barge (?) and I dropped a slimmie over and it didn't get to the bottom before the first Cobia was on board. My first and obviously I had a face full of smiles. It went 80+ cm but we weren't stopping to measure properly with Tony now onto a model of his own.

post-2889-144598669534_thumb.jpg

Tony's was an upgrade from my 80 cm one so I was quickly back in the water with a bait.

post-2889-144598669541_thumb.jpg

Ryan was next cab off the rank pulling in another - all so far were short of the metre mark but we were all smiles. We even caught Ryan off-guard with an uncharacteristic look on his face.

post-2889-144598669548_thumb.jpg

Young with a smile.. only steers and queers smile soldier, and I don't see no horns!

Ryan and Tony pulled in another each and then it was time for Tacklebox to pull rank on we mere men. After a tussle tBox hauled in a mighty beast at around 1 metre 2 centimetres. There was green all round the boat and no one was sea sick. I'm more than used to tBox out fishing me and any man around, but I still had a line in the water so there was still a chance.

I was on and was determined to beat the metre mark. I've pulled in metre+ spaniards before but these Cobia certainly pull above their weight. I managed a metre Cobia but it was a centimetre short of the woman's!

post-2889-144598669554_thumb.jpg

Three happy anglers, tBox with the champion fish

At this point we were all but 1 Cobia from our limit and we'd only been fishing for around 20 minutes. I was wondering what Tony was thinking about - this was his first charter - we pointed out that we'd been on multiple charters in the past few years and it wasn't unusual to come home with a donut. Ryan was equally chuffed having only been out once before and not having anything like this haul.

We had nearly a bagful and the rest of the day to fish, thats a pleasant dilemma. The skipper suggested we try another spot for another species - Terraglin (Trag Jew). So a short steam out and we were ready to do battle again. A mate of Rob' was already there and we sent him running back to our earlier spot telling him about our good fortune. Well try as we might for a fresh species they proved illusive. We were pulling in more Cobia! We quickly got our limit (and a couple for the skipper), tBox was the champion for the day actually getting a Trag Jew and a metre Cobia (most species). In the delirium of our session I managed one last fish for the day, and it was a brute. When it took the bait it almost pulled the rod from my hands. It was pulling line, I was gaining line, metres out and inches back, until I finally got the better of it and pulled in my pb Cobia at a little over 1.2 metres. Rob guesstimated it at around the 12 kg mark ( it felt more like 12 tonne to me) but I wasn't about to argue the point.

tBox told me to put this one in ...

post-2889-144598669561_thumb.jpg

… But I decided this was more dignified.

post-2889-144598669566_thumb.jpg

On the truth mat

post-2889-144598669571_thumb.jpg

About this time we decided to have a bite to eat and a relax. Rob's mate that we had sent back to our first spot was on the radio - he'd only managed the one Cobia at that spot, but I reckon if you only get one at 20kg than you should be happy.

It was a happy and relaxing trip back in and a new problem to sort out. We had my big esky and a like sized tub in the back of Tony's car and we filled them both with tails and heads sticking out all over the shop. Luckily we'd brought some knives and a steal up and it was off to the filleting table. I've spent hours with Tugger filleting big Spaniards and Snapper but this was a daunting task. We filled the esky to about 80% with fillets and set off home. tBox and I were up till around 7pm portioning up the fillets, tired but very happy.

I almost wished I hadn't spit in Ryans sarnie.

post-2889-144598669575_thumb.jpg

The haul

LMAO!!!! Top report for a top day on the water! This could have quite possibly ruined every other charter I will maybe go on, the action was that frantic. Thanks very much for the invite! It was great to catch up with Kreel and T'box, and was good to meet you Tony. Thanks for a memorable day Rob, hope to do it again soon.

Cheers,

Ryan.

P.S. I washed the garnished sanga down with a litre'o'cola, so it wasn't so bad ha ha ha!!!!

Well done Kreel looks like it was a great day out and great looking cobia Thanks for the report and pics

dave

Cheers Dave, I only got hooked up on the bottom once ... it felt like 17 metres of chain! Go figure

Silly me I put a big "X" on the side of the boat to remind me where the spot is, then I remembered it wasn't my boat. Look for a big stretch of water east of Moolooliaba and drop livies overbaord till a Cobia jumps on board :lol:

I thought we'd drop over to your place with some Cobia to barter for 70 cm Snapper fillets soon?

Ryan: You know I didn't actually spit in your sarnie ...

... I got tBox to do it. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks everyone else for the comments

Well done old fella you'll have sore shoulders like me now awesome fishing guys and gal the smiles says it all

ps don't you just love filleting into the night Kreel with that blood and guts dripping from your hands

There was blood and guts everywhere and we didn't have the good fortune to have a nice big filleting table like you. We did the final work on a small cutting board, it's usually enough for us.

KAF - it was tBox's Trag and I wasn't about to tell her to put it back. But I'll let her know you said to!

What you didn't set up a big table out the front of your place to carve them up that would have turned some heads in your neighbourhood

Well done old fella you'll have sore shoulders like me now awesome fishing guys and gal the smiles says it all

ps don't you just love filleting into the night Kreel with that blood and guts dripping from your hands

There was blood and guts everywhere and we didn't have the good fortune to have a nice big filleting table like you. We did the final work on a small cutting board, it's usually enough for us.

KAF - it was tBox's Trag and I wasn't about to tell her to put it back. But I'll let her know you said to!

What you didn't set up a big table out the front of your place to carve them up that would have turned some heads in your neighbourhood

The yuppies and tree huggers in my area would have thought it was performance art and clapped each time I pulled out a fish to carve up

Sweresy, what the hell are you laughing at, it was a very serious report with very serious fish ... thankyou mate.

Archived