Sydney Offshore, Wednesday 31st August

Downrigger

G’day lads,

A top crew assembled at the ramp this morning for an offshore run: Rico, Brad, Mev and myself (!) Out through the Heads on a near perfect sea, and on to the Twelve Mile for the usual jig session, to break up the trip. And also as usual – given the rotten season we are having for kingfish, off Sydney this winter – no result! So, off to Browns…

Weather conditions were fantastic, so much so that boats you wouldn’t normally see 20 plus miles offshore were on station. This five metre centre console with one person aboard being an example:

C:\fakepath\aatk 003 2.jpg[/attachment]

Around 2.00pm we headed a few miles north-east, to set up a cube trail. The water was less than inspiring – murky green, and full of various types of jelly blubbers. With radio chatter full of gloom and doom I wasn’t expecting anything at all, but thankfully Rico picked up this albacore on one of our jigs:

[attachment:3]C:\fakepath\aatk 005 2.jpg[/attachment]

Soon after, it was time to go. A fast run with a light easterly tail wind had us back at the wharf in no time at all. The boat is going in for a much overdue repaint today, so our next run is scheduled for the week after next –if the weather stays as good as it has been. Cheers,

Andy

post-9795-144598671401_thumb.jpg

Sorry, lads! Just cannot get the images to upload. Here's links to them, if you want to see the catch:

/>http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg651/scaled.php?server=651&filename=aatk0032.jpg&res=medium

/>http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg94/scaled.php?server=94&filename=aatk0052.jpg&res=medium

Cheers, Andy

Hey andy give yourself a quick introduction.

looking forward to reading your other reports

Cheers

shimanobwoie

Thanks, Shaun! Okay, 54 years old, been fishing on average once a week since the 1960s. In Queensland, mainly offshore east of Cooktown up to the Starcke River, and around the Whitsundays. Boat is a 21-foot Star side console I've had for 24 years through two paint jobs and four outboards, it just went in for another repaint today. Have a small tackle business (not our main business, but growing fast) being downriggershop.com.au. Delighted to be on AFO and hoping to contribute something of interest to members, Andy

Thanks for the report but the pics aren't working for me.

What other species do you guiys get down there?

Hello Dennis

we like Brown's Mountain because there's so many options out there. It's 21.5nm east of Sydney and rises to 350 metres on the top, around 510 metres deep on the sides. In the upper water column it's an excellent wintertime spot for mako and blue sharks plus yellowfin and striped tuna. Midwater holds plenty of albacore plus some broadbill and bigeye tuna. The bottom swarms with gemfish (in season) plus blue eye trevalla, bass groper, hapuka, and assorted unusuals like greeneye sharks and alfonsino. In summer it's good for marlin and tiger sharks. So if one species isn't on fire you've got plenty to keep you interested. I'm writing an article on the place, might post it on AFO end of next week if you reckon members would be interested in a place so far away?

Archived