floats with lures

fisherjack1394

I used to fish lures behind floats 20 odd years ago for trout and at the right time of the year its a deadly method.

I fished flies and home made rubber fish behind the floats and over the years caught trout up to 12lb on them.

On those severe windy days when you couldnt throw light lures I would always use a float setup.

The same rig but smaller floats works exceptionally well in small streams for getting dry/wet flies or baits in under the willow trees.

I also had reasonable success trolling flies and celtas ect behind floats for trout in some lakes.

I only ever used the clear hard egg floats which you can pop the centre tube out and fill them with as much water as you need for casting.

Have seen its a common local's fishing method in the central pacific- they rig a feather jig a metre behind a float then cast and retrieve it quite rapidly, for little queenies and GT's etc. The bubble trail from the float seems to attract the fish, which then have a go at the feather.

Personally found well presented plastics much more effective, but gotta give them points for ingienuity!

some times jack,what seems to be an odd idea,can often be worth trying a couple of times when things are quiet,if it works it was worth trying :) and if it doesn`t work you don`t have to tell people you tried the dumb idea :whistle:

Bottom line is if you try it and it works you`ve discovered something new... if it doesn`t you haven`t lost anything :cheer:

Archived