North Pine fish stocking figures for anybody inter

pcsolutionman

they probably do, but they're out competed for food and habitat by faster growing and more aggressive bass- they have much slower growth rates. it's not really a suprise that they don't go well together. i guess it's a choice that's been made. lots of pan sized fish, or less big ones... the bigger the fish the more food it requires for the area it occupies if it's an apex predator like cod are. impoundments are a totally new environment for most native australians, true, but i think it's a story that's told in the catch rates.

roobs,

I know what you're saying and the number stocked is not that great compared to the bass,yellas and silvers. When I was going through my \"cod phase\" I remember finding in my research that Murray cod can grow to 27cm in their first year. That's a pretty decent growth rate. The Mary's probably don't grow as fast though.

The catch rate is probably effected by anglers using gear that is too light for these fish also. They will hang in the deepest parts or around the snaggiest areas too, making them difficult to angle. The drought should ultimately be good for them though as it will bring their food closer and more condensed. (The bass and perch would be their main diet)

The main reason cod are stocked thinly is the cost of the fingerlings. They are pretty hard to breed, and take a lot of watching. Also Mary River cod have a high attrition rate. I am unaware of anyone actively stocking them at the moment, the Bass and Yella's are by far better value for money spent.

I do know that currently murray river cod fingerling cost about $1 each, which is something like 5 to 10 times the cost of a yellow belly fingerling. (depending on size of yellow belly fingerling). I am pretty sure the info on the wall at Glenlyon when I was out there last stated that murray River cod reach legal size in Glenlyon in 2 to 3 years. Which is about 9lb for 58cm length. Their growth rates in impoundments are phenomenal.

When i had a PRFMA permit we used to get a copy of the catch stats for the previous year and there never was a report of a single cod caught and only one saratoga was reported in 3 years. It was compulsory to fill out a catch card every time we went fishing so very accurate records were kept.There probably are records on their website of the catch records.

Ray

Talking with Steve from the PRFMA a few months ago and he showed me a few photos of a \"cod\" frame found near the dam wall in january. The frame was about 8 hours or so old when collected and was sent off to the DPI for research.

It turns out it was an eastern cod that had been stocked there and it was approximately 4.5-5kgs when landed. They are not sure what yr it was stocked but definitely a stocked Eastern Cod.

There have been relatively few occurences of these fish being taken but that is not to say that they are not doing well as this one obviously has done.

Jack.

Archived